• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Back me up boys, I'm going in.....

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back me up boys, I'm going in.....

Post by RicM »

As we have started to cruise more on our 28 TE, Time after Time, and are contemplating the addition of a dingy to make anchoring out more possible, the single biggest irritant has become the holding tank capacity (or lack of same). As those who attended last years NE Rendezvous know well, my attempts to limit the input have not been successful. My only answer is to increase capacity. TaT came equipped with the VHT Vacuflush head, with a 6.5 Gal capacity. As Miss K drinks about 3 Gallons a day of bottled water, that leaves us about 1 day short on a weekend excursion.
A new Vacu Flush model 10 HTS-VG fits in the same aprox footprint, has their new "whisper quiet" vacuum pump, and has a 10 Gal holding capacity. My existing unit needs service, so I have decided "why put a couple hundred in an old something when you can put a couple thou in something new?"
As I have done pretty well with boat plumbing in the past, I have decided to attempt the transplant myself. Join me while I (and probably ol' Sawzall Dave) plunge into that noman's land of stink & grime, and follow us on our latest adventure "New Head Fever".
Starting tomorrow at dawn I will be pumping the (once) pink juice from the old system into a trash can and start stripping out the old sanitation hose. Pictures and text to follow! Can scratch and sniff be far behind?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Back me up boys, I'm going in.....

Post by DougSea »

Awesome Ric! I'll be following these adventures, eagerly awaiting each new chapter. And if it works, and I'm sure it will, full bladders across the 28 universe will cry out in thanks to you!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Godspeed!.....................
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

I just got an image of the swiming pool cleanup scene from Caddyshack in my head...

"No big deal..."
Doug
Sonny IV
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Let me grab a beer and popcorn. This is one thread I don't want to miss.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

Gloves, safety glasses, vent the cabin, if you can do some of it by feel cover your "new head fever" with a heavy duty contractor bag and it's all sealed up. Fun!
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Ha! Skeptics and humorists abound I see. You will be disappointed to know that the first and potentially most disgusting aspect of the job "went rather smoothly" (no pun intended (right!)). Saturday was the perfect day, slightly below freezing (solids always easier to chase down than liquids) but sunny and therefore warming the area under the shrink wrap by mid morning. I started by using the the overboard discharge to empty the system of pink into a 5 gallon bucket placed carefully under the exit hole (AKA boat anus). She produced about 2 gal of only slightly off color pink anti-freeze. So far so good. Dressed in unpermeable latex and looking reminiscent of a Japanese utility worker, I started hacking away at the flexible hosing. Suprisingly little effluent and odor was found within, god bless the vacu-flush system! There was nothing in the hoses except a dingy stain, no promised incrustation of crud and dank liquids. An hour later I pulled the old VHT (actually a precursor to the VacuFlush branded product) out through the battery hatch. The new vacu-flush unit looks like this and is 4 inches longer than the old one:
10HTS.jpg
Here's the old VHT after coming up from the battery/bilge area:
VHT.jpg
Today I'm going back to clean up and dispose of the old plumbing. The unexpected part of the job is that the painted plywood shelf that all the equipment sits on has checked rather badly under the old unit.
Shelf.jpg
I'm going to have to sand it down, and coat with a soaking of West System in order to keep that wood under there sound for the next owner of TaT whoever and whenever that may be.
BTW, don't be intimidated by the task of putting a new seal in your bowl, 1 hose clamp takes it apart and you just swap the black rubber gasket seen on the bottom of the bowl unit (left). 5 minute job, max. I'd been putting it off for two years!
Valve.jpg
Ordering the new gear ($1700 worth) tomorrow. That will give me a new, quieter unit with 40% more capacity, all new plumbing, and a rebuilt toilet, seal & ball, and most important of all it the new unit comes with a "Tank Watch" system, so we can monitor the levels within. Heaven in the small room! I'll keep you all posted!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RicM wrote:...Ordering the new gear ($1700 worth) tomorrow. That will give me a new, quieter unit with 40% more capacity, all new plumbing, and a rebuilt toilet, seal & ball. I'll keep you all posted!
Ric - Did you know Defender's Warehouse sale starts Thursday? Might shave some of that $1,700 down, enough to buy some fuel at least! :)

(I'll be laughing all day while the words "boat anus" play over and over in my warped little mind...people always talk about toilet humor, and here we have the real thing!!)
Doug
Sonny IV
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Actually I checked Defender, but they don't list the Vacu-flush 10 HTS-VG or any of the self contained units. This place in NY has excellent prices from what I could see and were very helpful on the phone.....
http://www.sealandsanitation.com/

Don't worry, I am well aware of the upcoming Defender sale. I have a 7'7 dingy and a 3.5 HP Tohatsu motor all picked out and I'm ready to pull the trigger on 3/31! I'm going cruising this summer Baby!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Thanks for the link Ric, now that we have a Vacu-flush I need to get up to speed on the care and maintenance of this wonder of modern engineering.

Did you know it moves "stuff" through the system at 2 meters per second?!? Impressive! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

2 meters/sec? What's that in English turds?
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:..That will give me a new, quieter unit with 40% more capacity, all new plumbing, and a rebuilt toilet, seal & ball, and most important of all it the new unit comes with a "Tank Watch" system, so we can monitor the levels within. Heaven in the small room! I'll keep you all posted!
Cool, I know where I'll be peeing & poopin' at the next Rendezvous, sure beats walking all the way up to the restroom!
DougSea wrote: Did you know it moves "stuff" through the system at 2 meters per second?!? Impressive! :)
He may need a permit for that thing..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

2 meters/second = 3.9 knots :lol:

Didn't know that a Baby Ruth could travel that fast. :lol:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

2 meters/second = 3.9 knots
So does that mean if TaT is going forward at 3.9 kts that the turd is actually standing still?
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

So does that mean if TaT is going forward at 3.9 kts that the turd is actually standing still?
:lol:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”