• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

teak decks

jazzzman

Re: teak decks

Post by jazzzman »

Thistle:
I am in the process of glassing my decks as we speak. There is a page on the Jamestown website that discusses the process of using Smiths clear penetrating epoxy. I used this process last spring on the Flybridge and it worked great. I am lucky to have it stored inside all winter so the core has time to dry to facilitate the process of absorption. I am ready for glass this week but it has turned cold. The one issue I am concerned about is laying the glass up on the hard. I wonder if it would be better in the water so the shape of the decks will not be warped.
I also used a product called Pachena (Pachena.com) and the results are very professional and great footing in heavy weather.
D
Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Vic T »

We are in the process of replacing the teak on our 1987 36' trawler. It was leaking in the aft cabin in the past. We decided to have it stored inside this winter and have it checked for any real issues or simply recaulk the decks. We found the core in the aft was really rotted. The teak is being replaced in the aft and about halfway up the walkways. Next year, we will do the remainder. The core had to be replaced, reinforced and reglassed (including nonskid).

The rest is not bad enough to require the core to require work. If we had not done it now, it would only get worse and cost more! It will be done once and not be a future issue (like when we sell it).

Good luck...Vic
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Hi Vic, I wonedr if you can do me a favour? I too have a 36 1983 and the aft cabin had rot port and starboard. I discovered that there were 4 holes bored through the fibreglass deck and water was seeping through the teak. There was no reason for these hioles. I would be interested if your boat has the same and does anybody know why they are there in the first place. Sebastian
Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Vic T »

The marina told me that there were no drilled holes in the aft but they did uncover a "hatch cover." It is apparently a form for another hatch in the deck area. It may have been done during construction. It was never cut out or installed. It did not contribute to the core problems that we had on the boat.
Sorry to not be able to help out with the drilled holes.
Vic

Return to “36/37/40/43”