• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

For those that trailer their 27 AC

Albin's "power cruisers"
packham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: 100 Mile House, BC

For those that trailer their 27 AC

Post by packham »

Having just recently joined the group I have perused all the posts on trailering and have a few questions.

One post states that the 27 AC is not really a trailer boat, although lots do it, but also says that the hull/fiberglass can crack from trailering. Has anyone had this happen?

If anyone has any photos of their trailer, and particularly the roller/bunk configuration I would be appreciate seeing them. Thx, Roger
obertra9
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: For those that trailer their 27 AC

Post by obertra9 »

Packham (Roger), I have some experience on this topic as I purchased an A27 and a new stock specification trailer in Oct2010, rented and Enterprise Dodge 2500 4x4 pickup, and trailered 1000 miles from Maine to Ohio. Trailering was one attraction to the A27. If the driver or truck has a DOT license, there are issues with boat width on the trailer, as these folks are watched more closely. So a good DOT driver will get wide load permits. Without the DOT license, we do not stop at weigh stations and accept the risk. There have been no reports of wide load issues with Albin owners. The height of an A27 on a trailer to the top of the hardtop is ~12'6" so clearnace was not an issue after antennas etc are removed, but measure.
I support my boat on the full length keel and use the hull only for maintaining upright stability, so I am not concerned about hull cracking. I found a good website that describes modifications that I intend to make tpo my stock trailer by adding adjustable boat stands to the trailer: http://www.sail-trailers.com/.
Roger Obert, Solitude II, Cincinnati, OH obertDOTra@pgDotcom
Roger A. Obert
1990 Albin 27 SC
Solitude II
Cincinnati, Ohio
packham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: 100 Mile House, BC

Post by packham »

Thx for the info...I am in the initial stages of working with a manufacturer in BC to design a trailer and my impression thus far is that he was thinking more along the lines of using bunks on the hull to support weight rather than use the keel. As all the Albins I see on land are resting on their keels it makes more sense that the trailer design would be similar.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I used to trailer my A27 each year & also made sure that the real weight was on the keel.

An Albin 27 hull is not very thick & nowhere near as rigid as a typical trailerable planing hull. There is no need for it to be as strong since it does not take the high speed pounding.

If building a custom trailer be sure to carry the weight on the keel & support the hull outside of strong points inside the hull such as outside of the bulkheads.

The bow is not thick enough to install a bow eye for trailering so you will have to learn how to float on or gently power on to the trailer. You get used to doing it. Use the cleats to run straps fore & aft to stop any sliding.

A loaded 27 plus trailer will be well within weight limits of a 2500 truck. You see RVers draggiing 12,000# 5th wheels all the time. That is 5,000# more than an A27.

As posted before, I'd favour a trailer with boatstand type pads for side support. They allow for some lattitude in fore & aft placement on the trailer. You will need to find where the boat needs to sit on the trailer to obtain best pin weight on the truck. Too much takes weight off the truck front wheels losing steeriing & possibly overloading the truck. Too little pinweight & you will have the trailer overpowering the truck.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Bobster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bobster »

This is photo of my 27 on the truck, supported on keel, bow & some hydraulic pads pulled by small Peterbilt. Went about 300 miles with no problems.
Bobster
PC090010.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JDHFX
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Halifax

Post by JDHFX »

Has anyone had experience or know if an Albin 34 with the aft cabin and fly bridge can fit on a trailer or can it only be flat decked? Any information would be appreciated.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”