• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

35TE - Convertible Settee

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

35TE - Convertible Settee

Post by DougSea »

Halcyon asked for some pictures of the convertible settee. The way it's been done would probably work well for anyone with an "L" shapped settee.

Here's the settee in "Normal" use.
01-NormalUsage.JPG
There are tracks fore and aft that support the slide out section. There are latches that lock it into place, you can see the holes that they fit into.
02-AftSlide.JPG
03-ForwardSlide.JPG
Here's a picture with all of the cushions removed. I did that for clarity, it's not necessary when setting it up. All of the cushions have long velcro strips on the back and stay in place.
04-CushionsRemoved.JPG
Here the base has been slid out and the feet have dropped down. The base cushions are stiff enough that you don't have to fill the holes left by the legs. Poking hard I could barely feel them. The base does NOT slide out so far that it's not supported by the cabinet below it. Very strong.
05-BaseSlidOut.JPG
And here we're set for sleeping. I left out one of the extra fill cushions again for clarity. Because the spot where the fill cushion goes is "taller" than the other base cushion, because the slide out section sits on top of the base, the cushions are also taller so you have a nice level surface. I love it when a builder pays attention to details! :)
06-SetForSleep.JPG
Here's a final shot showing the filler cushion.
07-ClosedWithFiller.JPG
Any questions just let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 35TE - Convertible Settee

Post by zinbaad »

Real nice setup,,,,,,,, now to convert it in the 31te,,,
Where was the extra base cushion that appeared in photo # 6
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

zinbaad wrote:Real nice setup,,,,,,,, now to convert it in the 31te,,,
Because the AC unit is under the settee there's no room to store them there, so they are going under one of the berths in the "bunkroom".
Doug
Sonny IV
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

DougSea wrote:
zinbaad wrote:Real nice setup,,,,,,,, now to convert it in the 31te,,,
Because the AC unit is under the settee there's no room to store them there, so they are going under one of the berths in the "bunkroom".
I trust you mean "on" (not under) the bottom bunk, Doug, where we store the "bed board" and all our cushions. Now if I can modify our "bed board" to store like yours, a perfect solution! As usual, all your photography is excellent, including your bridge shots. I will try and do a better job with my photos, as it is interesting what variety Albin used in the lay out of the same models and our members may get some ideas from photos.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Darn, stuck in cabin fever mode and now obsessing with 4 footitus after seeing Dougs Beauty
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Hey Chuck - I'm hoping they will actually fit "under" the lower bunk. I know there's some space under a hatch there. With the second cabin it will be very rare for us to need to break out the settee for sleeping so I'd like them truely out of the way. I'll put them in one or two of those giant ziploc bags to keep them "fresh". If not there then in the little closet in the cabin.

One thing you learn over time is that Albin had NO problems laying boats out differently as the years (months, weeks, days?) went by. I assume some of that was "continuous improvement", some was buyer preference and some was "Hey Bob, what's in the parts bin?". :)

And thanks very much for the compliment on the photos! I do try and pay attention to what the picture is telling...

You know Ed, I think that 46TE is still available! You'd be set for a while!
Doug
Sonny IV
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Thanks for the pictures, very informative. I saw a similar setup on Cape Dory. It looks like the panel that slides out carries the seat lip that holds the cushion in place with it, I bet this adds a little stiffening to the 'drawer'. Is there a similar thickness piece of plywood continuing around to the aft to keep the cushions level? The drop down legs are pretty slick.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Halcyon wrote:...Is there a similar thickness piece of plywood continuing around to the aft to keep the cushions level?
Hey Halcyon,

No, there is no additional wood beyond what you see in the pictures. Instead the "filler" cushions are about a 1/2" taller than the ones that sit on the sliding pannel and the finished sleeping surface is level. Take another look at the "ready for sleeping" picture above.

ps - do you have a "real" name? :)

Let me know if you need any additional info, always happy to help out!
Doug
Sonny IV
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Doug, I think i see my answer in the fifth picture above showing the panel pulled out. There is an additional thickness of wood that my boat doesn't have under the aft cushions to keep them all level.
Here is a image of a non convertable settee. Thanks, Trav Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Trav, NOW I understand your question. :) So yes, you are right that the aft cushions have a thicker under layer so that when everything is closed up there is a single level platform. Obviously that also keeps the sliding section in place when it's slid back. Still I'd think it would be a pretty simple modification. I may go down to the boat on Sunday, if I do I'll take all of the cushions off and get some better details of that inner corner where the pieces all come together.
Doug
Sonny IV
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Trav,

Here are some additional photos of the aft section of the slide out settee. It would seem that it's not so much that the aft section is raised but that the main, port section, is about a half inch lower to accomodate the sliding section on top of it. That certainly makes dealing with the trim easier as both the slide and aft sections sit at the same height.
Doug
Sonny IV
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Thanks, that is very clear. It doesn't look too tough to retrofit. Now all I need is the time.....

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”