• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Aft keel bilge water

Albin's "power cruisers"
Free State
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons, MD

Aft keel bilge water

Post by Free State »

our A27AC is getting alot of water in the aft keel bilge. The water was salty to me. My stuffing box on the aft engin room wall in in good shape and I see what I think is the prop shaft tube. My question is there 2 stuffing boxes, I am trying to find the source of the water. Any advise would be appreciated.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Aft keel bilge water

Post by Panhdjoe »

The stuffing box on my 1984 27AC is seen from the opening in the aft cabin floor. the only other stuffing box is the rudder wich is under the cover in the center of the transverse berth in the aft cabin, if it leaks the water will stay in that compartment. the propshaft stuffing box in easy to see and should drip every few seconds. That should be the only leak. My bilge pump is almost directly under the propshaft stuffing box. Check the through hulls in the engine room. my boat has 3, engine cooling, head intake and head pump out. they should have no leaks. Rember through hulls have sunk more boats than the Spanish armada. If the bilge pump is working properly only a few inches of water will stay down in the hollow keel. Please let us know if the problem presits. My 27 is the most water tight boat I have had, and Albins generally have excellent hulls. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

There is only one stuffing box &, like Panhdjoe say, it should only drip while underway. After sitting still for awhile it should stop dripping. Do you have a shaft pillow bearing midway between stuufing box & tranny? Mine did. Took it out. It caused shaft heating.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Free State
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons, MD

Post by Free State »

I have the stuffing box at the back of the engine room. This is a traditional stuffing box and woks fine a couple of drips a minute during operation and none when shut down. I see from looking forward fron the deck plate in the aft cabin floor I see a steel tube that i think the prop shaft runs through and exits the hull at the aft end of the aft bilge. It looks like I may have water seeping in around this tube. Has anyone seem this area leak?
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

What year is your boat, and could you post some pics of this setup? I am curious. as it is different from mine.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”