• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27 Albin SC engine options and boat speeds

Albin's "power cruisers"
Josh
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: portland ct

27 Albin SC engine options and boat speeds

Post by Josh »

I am very interesed in buying a 27 Albin SC. I have seen them powered by various engines Cummins 210, Yanmar 165, Westerbeke 100. What cruise speeds should I expect with diffrent engines? I was told the Cummins would cruise around 14 knots. Does this seem correct? I believe the hull is a semi displacement type is this right?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: 27 Albin SC engine options and boat speeds

Post by jcollins »

Hi Josh,
Welcome to AOG. I'm going to stick my nose in here with a disclaimer. I do not own a 27 and have never been on one. That being said, I have read a lot about these boats over the past few years. The 27 has a displacement hull. The AC model was designed for the crusing crowd. 14 knots would be considered WOT with the 100 hp engine. I have read that 10-12 would be a normal cruise range.

Read some of the posts in this forum. You will get a good education about these boats, layout, and engine choices. I boat on the Chesapeake. In my area (mid-upper) I have only seen 1 or 2 over the years.

Once again, welcome to AOG.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain, NY

Post by Ron »

Josh
I recently purchased a 1988 27 sport express cruiser with the Cummins 210. We have only been out a few times prior to haul out, mainly to make sure all systems were working properly and finding out what needed repair over the winter. Since I did not have a GPS with me I can not tell you exact speeds but at WOT it easily hits 20 knots and throws an extremely flat wake. Cruising at about 1000 rpm gave a nice ride at approx 7 knots. Higher RPM resulted in a small rooster tail at the stern but the boat would certainly pick up speed. A 14 knot cruise would not be out of the question.

The only reason I went for the Cummins is that I often times have an impatient crew and need to move things along. A high rpm fuel burn is significant and any and all economy goes out the window.

good luck with your search

Ron
Josh
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: portland ct

Post by Josh »

The 210 Cummins would be my first choice. The engine is a work horse and should run a long time with a 210 hp rating. Any idea of GPH at diffrent RPM's. I had asked about planing the boat and some people laughed at me.
Did you buy the boat locally? I saw on for sale in FL with a 210 Cummins.
Thanks for the response

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”