• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pole holders on the cockpit sides and Lewmar Screens

dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Pole holders on the cockpit sides and Lewmar Screens

Post by dkircher »

Hi Everyone,

Those handy white plastic, round pole holders along the cockpit sides have degraded over time on my 28TE. I couldn't find a post covering this issue. My apologies if I missed it. In any event, does anyone know where I can purchase new ones? The guy at West Marine just shook his head...

Unrelated issue: Does anyone know of a place that sells replacement screens for Lewmar portlights? West said they could special order them for big $$$.

Thanks,

Dave
Andiamo
28TE
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
Nowhere Special
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Catawba Island, Lake Erie

Re: Pole holders on the cockpit sides and Lewmar Screens

Post by Nowhere Special »

Ahh, the proverbial white pole holders, I believe they are called rod grommets. I have been looking for them for my boat and the closet I come to are 1/2" narrower in diameter. They fall through the holes. I wonder if the new 28TE's have them, if so, perhaps we can put together a group purchase directly from Albin.

link to previous discussion viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3388.

Dave
Dave
1999 28TE Aba Daba
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Does anyone know of a place that sells replacement screens for Lewmar portlights? West said they could special order them for big $$$.
One of our members sent me his extras a couple of years ago. I may have one. I'm not sure of the brand. I'll check it out this week and let you know. If it matches yours just pay for shipping. I should be able to get to the boat this week. I'll post a pic.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkircher »

Dave and John,

Thanks for the quick responses. Re. the rod grommets, thanks for clarification on the name of the things. I'll look for replacements too and let you know what I find. Re. the Lewmar screens.. John I would appreciate anything you can come up with. We need about five of them, since the former owner installed them incorrectly and warped the frames. That said, even one more should help. I'll certainly pay the shipping and will e-mail you a photo and dimensions if you determine that you may have one.

Regards,

Dave

Andiamo
28 TE
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Many s/s hardware items, including the rod holders were from Prime Industries http://www.prime-industries.com/products.html.

My rod grommets are in decent shape so I never measured them and looked for replacements. Would these work? http://www.thmarine.com/product.cfm?PRID=87
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

For the rod grommets I can suggest removing both pieces from the boat and soaking the ring in bleach or Tilex for about 10 minutes to get rid of the mildew. Source a sheet of 1/8" or 5/32" neoprene, possibly from a dive shop. Use the ring as a pattern for size and location of screw holes in the neoprene, punch out the center, slit the material and re-install under the ring.
Last edited by joe.baar on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkircher »

Rob and Joe,

Great suggestions. I'll check them out.

Thanks,

Dave Kircher
Andiamo
28TE
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

We have a custom gasket shop and all types of material in our main location. I've never looked for this material but I'll check tomorrow. If someone can provide the outside diameter, the center cut out diameter and the thickness, I can have those cut fairly easily. Let me see if we have any material that matches.
Part two;
Checked the shop today. We have 3/16" white nitrile rubber sheet that I think matches the existing material. I also stopped by the boat today and took some rough measurements. Looks like 4" OD and a 3/4" center hole. I can get a couple cut from some scrap material cheap. Anyone interested in doing the finish work cutting the finger slits and the one flat side for the lower holder, let me know. We'll work out the details. I figure 4 would be 5 or 10 bucks and the shipping cost.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
scallywag98
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Amityville NY

Post by scallywag98 »

Hi dkircher

Sorry for the late reply to your inquiry. I had the same problem with my 28TE, the grommets were really looking bad. I did locate a 4 in white grommet that I used from J&M Hunting Supplies. They came two in a package, so I had to order 3 packs.
The cost of each unit was $10.71 total $32.13 plus shipping 12.53 to NY. Total $45.62. I ordered them on Aug 14 and they arrived on the 20th.

Again J&M Hunting Supplies
suport@shoothunt.com
PS the item # 6307365

Hope this Helps
scallywag98
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

My brother sourced these 4" grommets from Marine East, PO Box 400 LaPorte IN 4652-0400 Their pn 6685W. Wonder why it is marked witha a 'top'?
Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkircher »

Thanks everyone for all of the ideas and leads. I'll check them all out. Halcyon's idea about Marine East is a good lead.

I quickly found their website listing the models available including part number 6685W. Here is the link:

http://www.marineeast.com/a_sch/sch_det ... &pid=06_01

Dave
Andiamo
28 TE
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Thanks for the link. When I was at the Newport boat show I asked Kenny from Standish about sourcing the Rod Grommets. He mentioned Eastern Marine, which I tried with no luck. I bet he meant Marine East because initially he had trouble remembering the name.

I see on that page there are both 4 hole and 6 hole grommets. The 4 hole ones seem to be direct replacement for mine

Mine:
TOY-RIFIC Rod Grommets.jpg
Available from Marine East:
584.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”