• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Chart Light and Bow Hatch

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Chart Light and Bow Hatch

Post by Russell »

My TE is also a 97 model and a previous owner might have messed up the factory installation but I am not sure how he could do it on the transom bolsters. They too are mounted on screws placed from inside the coaming and with only two inches or less between the baitwell and the side I cannot see how they did it. Also why they did not use stainless screws is a mystery. As they rusted away I replaced the ones on the sides with stainless screws by removing the rod holder insert to get access to the inside. I used velcro on the transom bolsters and that worked as long as other screws were still there to take the load when people sit there with their legs inside. Now that the vinyl is cracked and needs replacement I am hoping for a better installation of the new ones. If you know you have to replace them you can pry up an edge and see what is back there. The upholsterer came to my boat and just pulled them off. If anyone else has their bolster mounted a different way let us know. :?:
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Here's one of my coaming pads. They all slide into tracks and are very easy to remove.

The only issue I've had is I've ripped two pairs of jeans on the slightly exposed edge of the track. I need to take my dremel tool and round it over.
Overall.jpg
TrackDetail.jpg
PartialTrack.jpg
Underside.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Post by rcornejo »

Thanks Doug and Russ,

My boat is 3 hours away from where I live. I will be there next weekend and will take a look at how they were installed. From what I can tell, it looks like they are the originals that came with the boat. Based on Dougs pictures, it looks like once you take the factory ones off, you will have to creat a new way of installing the new ones. Dougs look more square whereas mine are round. Doug, is that just the style you choose based on the ease of installation or just your preference?

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

rcornejo wrote:...Doug, is that just the style you choose based on the ease of installation or just your preference?

Roland
These were on the boat when I bought it but I like them and would probably install the same again. I think they're more comfortable when you lean against them than the rounded ones. They're covered with the same fabric as the engine box cover and the bimini and are holding up very nicely.

As for the mounting system this is absolutely how I'd do it if I was having new ones made. The pad is supported all along it's length and is very easy to remove for cleaning or off-season storage.
Doug
Sonny IV
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Doug,

Thanks. I have always thought that the round ones were a little bulky. The ones on my boat are old and dry. Just leaning on them will cause they to crack. I like how you installed yours and will probably do the same. Thanks again for your help.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Doug,

I realize it's been a couple of years, but do you have the make and model of your replacement chart light? The Defender link is no longer active. Defender carries others, but yours looks better.

Also, how do you get access to that light?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Nancy wrote:Doug,

I realize it's been a couple of years, but do you have the make and model of your replacement chart light? The Defender link is no longer active. Defender carries others, but yours looks better.

Also, how do you get access to that light?
Hi Nancy,

It's a Dr. LED light. I found this link: https://www.professorled.com/catalog/pr ... ucts_id=87

Defender appears to have it in black but not chrome. Not sure why.

As for access, if I recall correctly I was able to replace it from the helm (chart station) side but if you need to you can access the mounting spot (sort of) by unscrewing the electrical panels in the cabin. If you can't reach it from there then you need to remove the overhead panels below the breakers (above the quarter berth)

Hope that helps!
Doug
Sonny IV
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Thanks, Doug. I do prefer the chrome for this location. I was hoping to spend about half that, but I like this one the best of all that I've looked at. Figures.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”