• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oil Capacity of Twin Disc Transmission

bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Oil Capacity of Twin Disc Transmission

Post by bccanucker »

Anyone have a Twin Disc MG502 transmission in their trawler and know the oil capacity? The manual says the capacity is on the lubrication plate but I dont have a lubrication plate
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Oil Capacity of Twin Disc Transmission

Post by DougSea »

Hey Roy,

I tried doing some searching for you, best I could find was this post on another forum from a couple of years ago. Talks about oil grades but not capacity. Don't know if it helps at all.

It is an Albin owner, so it's got good karma! :)

Good luck!

http://lists.samurai.com/pipermail/traw ... 32273.html
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

I changed the ATF in my Borg Warner trans, and I remember the quantity was 1 quart exactly.

I'll suggest the obvious, make sure the level is up to par, then drain it and check the amount. Changing trans fluid is easy (on my boat) and things like that make a big difference.
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Roy,

I have a 1987 36' Classic with an MG 502 transmission. I too have the same question even though I have a lubrication plate attached. Unfortunately, I can't find the capacity (there are some unreadable spots). I did see that the type of oil if 30W (SAE API CC) and that the oil level needs to be checked when the transmission oil is warm, the transmission in neutral and the engine running. I checked boatdiesel.com and found some info that might be useful: "There are about 20 different versions of the MG 502 which is why they tell you to look at the service tag or drain the gear and then fill it exactly to the dipstick FULL mark with the engine running in neutral. You can also call them at 262 638-4000 and give them the serial number. They should not be over-filled."

From reading other posts on Boatdiesel, it looks like the capacity is somewhere between 1.33 - 1.7 gallons.

Rob
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Rob: I just recently talk to a technician from a Twin disc dealer in Seattle. He told me my MG502 was 3.5 pints = 1.65 Litres and with oil cooler 4.25 pints = 2.0 Litres.
I just put everything back together last weeks and it took about 2.5 Litres to fill it.
This guy emailed me some pretty good drawings in answer to my questions about adding temperature and pressure guages. Can send them to you if you like.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Roy,

That would be great! Thanks

Rob