• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27AC Headliner

Albin's "power cruisers"
Free State
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons, MD

A27AC Headliner

Post by Free State »

Have any of you fellow A27AC owners replaced the headliner in the salon or aft cabin. Our new to us A27AC is coming apart at the seam in some places. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: A27AC Headliner

Post by Veebyes2 »

Yup. Replaced the whole thing. Took a lightning hit in 88which started a fire......but that is another story.

Basically the whole thing stays up with contact cement, the spray kind. Cut it too large. Work from center out. Trim & glue the edges.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jimlewis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Little River, SC

Post by jimlewis »

My 1986 27' Sport Express is scheduled to have the headliner replaced this next weekend. As with a lot of these vessels, I had to replace the weather damaged wood around the portholes and re-glass those areas. Can't wait to see how the new install goes and will report my results.

Jim Lewis
"Six Grand"
Smithfield, NC
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Houston, Texas

Post by tranmkp »

The best Christmas present would be for someone to post headliner replacement details and photos...
jimlewis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jimlewis »

If I get on the boat before Christmas, I will post photos of new headliner and new lights.

Jim Lewis
Six Grand
27 Sport Cruiser
Smithfield, NC
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tranmkp »

jimlewis wrote:If I get on the boat before Christmas, I will post photos of new headliner and new lights.

Jim Lewis
Six Grand
27 Sport Cruiser
Smithfield, NC

Did Santa forget me??
jimlewis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jimlewis »

Evidently you were bad and Santa passed you by--just kidding. Santa had carpal tunnel surgery and Santa's wife had knee surgery plus Santa and his family are getting old and found excuses for not getting the boat ship shape. As soon as I get the interior finished with new countertop, new sink, etc. I will post pictures of new headliner and lighting.

Safe Boating,

Jim Lewis
Six Grand
Albin 27' SC
Little River, SC
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tranmkp »

jimlewis wrote:Evidently you were bad and Santa passed you by--just kidding. Santa had carpal tunnel surgery and Santa's wife had knee surgery plus Santa and his family are getting old and found excuses for not getting the boat ship shape. As soon as I get the interior finished with new countertop, new sink, etc. I will post pictures of new headliner and lighting.

Safe Boating,

Jim Lewis
Six Grand
Albin 27' SC
Little River, SC

Just wanted to know how its going - I cant wait to see the pictures...
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tranmkp »

We're itching to hear back!! - would love to see some pictures. The headliner makes or breaks the boat!
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Iv'e got pictures of a A27 where they removed the headliner and painted the fiberglass under with white paint
it looked good in the photo. boat name Rabble I think it's in florida.
wrren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tranmkp »

I would love to see ANY headliner project -
johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

Post by johnvb1014 »

In the last year we bought and restored a 27 ft family cruiser, including headliners in fore and aft cabins (did not replace the ceiling liner in fore cabin, too hard to remove). The port windows leaked badly with bottom wood strips headliner is stapled to rotted. Headliner, especially aft cabin, was moldy/mildewy, a real mess. In addition, we wanted to expose interior fiberglass to repair rot in wood core (but that is another story).

My wife took on the headliner replacement, I was the gofer. She bought for $25 an old heavy duty Singer sewing machine to sew the new headliner pieces, using the old liners as pattern. We also bought a professional upholstery stapler (air powered) to do the stapling. We did not use any adhesive, but tried to install the same way as done originally. Used vinyl strips to wrap edges of headliner around and staple to wood strips. Holding and stapling was a two person job, and for some pieces a real bear. Used a vinyl simulated wood strip along bottom edge to hide staples. Hate to use vinyl for this but it was easy to fit to the contour of the boat.

The result was really gratifying. Several before and after photos in attached pdf. I hope this can be viewed easily. Original photos too large to upload. Unfortunately we don't have after photos of the aft cabin. From what we started with, the cabins look like new.

If there are any questions, I'll have to consult the boss on this.

John VB
Lockport NY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Nice job. I was looking at my 1996 32 the other day. It has been sitting in storage since December 2006. Main cabin liner will have to be redone before the boat sees the water again.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tranmkp »

Thank you so much for posting - a hard job for sure.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”