• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

TE 31 cored?

Inkwretch

TE 31 cored?

Post by Inkwretch »

Can anybody tell me if the 31 te has a solid hull below the water line or is balsa cored? I'm looking to purchase a 1996.
Inkwretch

Re: TE 31 cored?

Post by Inkwretch »

Really? Nobody can answer this question?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Inkwretch wrote:Really? Nobody can answer this question?
Patience grasshopper! :) The speed of responses on AOG ebbs and flows. Someone usually responds within a few days.

I was wondering if a 31 owner would be able to give a definitive answer so I hadn't posted a response.

I believe all of the US made Albins use coded hulls for lightness and strength. A 1996 boat would be balsa cored. This is nothing to worry about so long as you have a good survey. Around the underwater thru-hulls in particular. Your surveyor will use a moisture meter all over the hull and check for delimitation with a small hammer.

Hope that helps!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Inkwretch

Post by Inkwretch »

Thanks! This seems to be the consensus. I wish there was a way to get a more definitive answer on water penetration. I understand moisture meters aren't that accurate. After several owners it's sometimes hard to tell how a boat has been maintained.
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

1996 was definitely balsa cored. It should not be a problem, so long as care was taken with any thru-hulls that might have been installed.

Your surveyor should not only use a moisture meter, but sound the hull with a hammer. If there is moisture intrusion, the hammer will yield a dull thud instead of a ping.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Inkwretch

Post by Inkwretch »

Thanks again. I wish I could remove th non-factory thru hulls and make sure they were done properly but i guess that's not practical in a survey.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Inkwretch wrote:Thanks! This seems to be the consensus. I wish there was a way to get a more definitive answer on water penetration. I understand moisture meters aren't that accurate. After several owners it's sometimes hard to tell how a boat has been maintained.
It's not really a maintenance issue per se; more of an "installation" issue. When a thru hull is installed the normal method is to drill an oversize hole from the inside down to the outer skin, fill that with epoxy, and then drill the hole for whatever you're mounting, such as a transducer. This method seals the core and prevents water from ever contacting the core material. So by using the meter and tapping at these hull penetration points a good surveyor will get a pretty good feel for the hull.

On a side note, the deck and larger hatches are also cored. This is where I've had a few issues with my 1997. I'm in the process of repairing my two deck box hatches. I think a "person of size" must have danced on them. Just something else to keep an eye out for.

My wife and I are starting the process of trading up to a larger boat. Balsa cores would NOT ever turn me away from a boat, I'd just be careful about getting a good survey!

Best of luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
Inkwretch

Post by Inkwretch »

Yes. Installation, not maintenance. Thanks for the info. I hope to get a survey early next week.

I also read here these boats rode bow high and later models had a two foot swim step extension to improve that problem. Any info on this issue?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Inkwretch wrote:Yes. Installation, not maintenance. Thanks for the info. I hope to get a survey early next week.

I also read here these boats rode bow high and later models had a two foot swim step extension to improve that problem. Any info on this issue?
Different boat, I believe you're referring to the Command Bridge model, not the TE. The 32+2 I think.

The TE's do ride with the bow up a bit but that's how they're supposed to ride. Great boats in the nasty stuff!
Doug
Sonny IV
Inkwretch

Post by Inkwretch »

Sea trial today and the boat ran great. With trim tab adjustments the bow was fine

Looked at the thru hulls and noticed the factory thru hull installations didn't taper down to the outer skin. Anybody know how the core is sealed on factory thru hulls? One thru hull was leaking, too. Not sure from where. I feel like I should pull every thru hull on the boat on the out of water survey. That's the only way to really know.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Inkwretch wrote:Sea trial today and the boat ran great. With trim tab adjustments the bow was fine

Looked at the thru hulls and noticed the factory thru hull installations didn't taper down to the outer skin. Anybody know how the core is sealed on factory thru hulls? One thru hull was leaking, too. Not sure from where. I feel like I should pull every thru hull on the boat on the out of water survey. That's the only way to really know.
I'm glad your sea trial went well and you were comfortable and able to get the bow down.

Albin always touted that all factory thru hulls went through solid glass. Unfortunately it's hard to tell if some were original to the build or added later as more systems and electronics were put aboard.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Inkwretch wrote:Sea trial today and the boat ran great. With trim tab adjustments the bow was fine

It wouldn't taper down to the outer skin as the hole where the core was removed would be epoxied/glassed in level with the inner skin. Did the survey pick up moisture or delamination sounds sround the thru-hulls?
Doug
Sonny IV
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

If the thru hulls are original they may be in need of replacement. On my 97 model the previous owner had already replaced the one for the engine intake and I replaced the two for the A/C and saltwater wash down. Rather than pull them out on a survey just have the surveyor take a close look at them. An experienced surveyor can give you a good idea and if they need to be replaced he will give you an estimated cost to have deducted from the purchase price. He should also be able to tell you if there is any water in the hull.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Inkwretch

Post by Inkwretch »

Good information. Thanks guys.

What's the top speed for these boats? This particular boat tops out at 22 kts, which seems low?

What kind of mpg can I expect from peninsulars? One mile per gallon at cruising speed -- 18 kts.?
Last edited by Inkwretch on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Inkwretch wrote:Good information. Thanks guys.

What's the top speed for these boats? This boat tops out at 22 kits, which seems low?

What kind of mpg can I expect? One mile per gallon at cruising speed -- 18 kts.?
What RPM's was she turning and what engine? Single I'm assuming. That speed could be correct based on prop, wind, tide, currents, etc. My 28 has seen WOT numbers that range from around 21kn to an eye popping 27kn. I think the wind and current gods were smiling at me that day!

The numbers I usually see on the sales sites always seem a bit "opimistic" to put it kindly.

I'll leave the fuel economy question to a 31 owner but they'll want to know the engine.

Glad to see you're moving along!
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”