• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The shaft fell out!!

bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

The shaft fell out!!

Post by bccanucker »

Last week I backed out of the slip, turned 90 degrees to go down the channel and found I was going nowhere. Hit the bow thruster to point back into the slip and threw a line to a fellow boater who pulled me back in. The shaft had pulled out of the collar to the transmission. Nothing broke. The two 1/2" bolts that go through the collar and dimple into the shaft fell out and the keyway fell out. The 2 bolts had wire connecting their heads so they wouldn't undo but this wire broke. We bought this boat last April and the shaft was replaced about a year before that and as the boat was up for sale for the year had no hours on this re & re.
I am mostly writting this to suggest if you have this transmission collar arrangement to make sure things stay tight.
When you look at the design of this arrangement you probably don't want this engineer to design your helicopter.
My mechanic wants to change this over to a borg warner collar which is split halves and more secure.
For now I have put all back together and added jam nuts to the 1/2" bolts. They were probably left out when the shaft was replaced about a year ago because they are a British thread. Our standard is 1/2" X 13 tpi and these bolts are 1/2" X 12 tpi. Took a considerable hunt to buy a pair of these. Cost me $25. for the pair.
Things sure shift smooth when the shaft falls out :oops:
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: The shaft fell out!!

Post by jcollins »

Things sure shift smooth when the shaft falls out
At least you didn't loose your humor. :)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My mechanic wants to change this over to a borg warner collar which is split halves and more secure.
Yes this is the way to go without a doubt.
Replace the oddball hardware with standard US hardware. And the best grade steel (not stainless) bolts/nuts/washers you can find.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Yes, hardened bolts, not stainless at the shaft coupler. No time like the present to check your alignment.

Not sure of your rudder arm setup. Another one to check periodically.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Post by yhc »

jleonard & RobS,

Would you explain re: stainless vs. hardened steel?

yhc
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Bolts are hardened by heat treating them. Carbon in the steel is needed for this process. Since Stainless has low carbon content it cannot be hardened via heat treatment.

Bolt depot is a good source for hardware. Here is a link http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-infor ... rials.aspx explaining the different hardware types and you can browse the site form there.

For the coupler use grade 8 nuts and bolts. Grease the bolts and grease between the coupler flanges.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

yhc wrote:jleonard & RobS,

Would you explain re: stainless vs. hardened steel?

yhc
Rob wrote a nice explanation but the simple version is: stainless is corrosion resistant but fairly weak. Proper "hardened" steel is significantly stronger and less likely to fail due to mechanical stress.

Ever twist the head off of a stainless screw? They really aren't very strong.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Post by yhc »

Thanks for the info gentlemen.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Stainless bolts are known as "butter bolts" when it comes to a connection requiring strong hardware.
Last edited by RobS on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Another reason to stay away from stainless is that stainless bolts and nuts are very likely to "gall" when being assembled. Even at ratchet wrench speed the threads will gall. This happens due to the heat of friction. It pulls surface material off the threads and basically acts like cross theading. The tighter you torque them the more likely they are to gall. (Where I work we assemble stainless to stainless every day by the thousands and we must be very careful)
There are thread lubes you can use but since regular steel bolts are stronger there is no need to go thru the trouble of using stainless in this application.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”