• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Update on performance of 31 TE over the summer

sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Update on performance of 31 TE over the summer

Post by sharffj »

Quick recap of how my 31' TE did this summer. In mid-May ran up the outside from Ilwaco (Columbia River) to Neah Bay, and then up the straits to Anacortes. Took about 18 Hrs split over 2 days burning about 1 gallon per mile with the twin Yanmars. Averaged 17-18 kts. Ran into a NW sea on the way up, but the straits were flat and made for easy running. Got moorage in Anacortes, great place for boats, close to the San Juan and Gulf Islands and all services available. In late May did a 4 day trip to Port Townsend and the San Juans. Was a shakedown cruise to see if my wife and I could live comfortably on the boat for any time at all. Passed the test, plenty of room and once got the fresh water pressure up to snuff she was quite happy. In early to mid June took the boat up to Desolation Sound and beyond. Actually were going to head to the Broughtons, but ended up spending too much time in Desolation Sound, so only made it to Blind Channel on the other side of the rapids. Again the boat was very comfortable. Found ourselves starting to cruise at 13-14 kts rather than 17-18. One due to fuel economy, but also not to work engines as hard. Water was very placid except for one day. Were in Pender Harbor on the north side of the Straits of Georgia and needed to cross the Straits to get to Nanaimo on the south side. Enviroment Canada had posted a strong wind warning for the Straits for later in the day. We thought we could beat it. We were wrong. Ended up crossing the Straits of Georgia with a westerly of 25-30 opposing an ebb current of 1-2 knots. Made for a steep short swell of at least 5-7 ft at our stern and starboard beam. For us, not a comfortable ride. The boat did fine, just had to back down on the throttle, and retract the trim tabs so the stern sat down in the water. Think we were the only boat crossing the Straits that morning. Taught me that when Enviroment Canada says strong wind warning to pay attention. Were out on the boat for 11 days that stretch, no problems everything ran well. Still used about 1 gallon per knot. In june and July took her up to the San Juans and Gulf Islands 3 more times each time for about 4-5 days. Anchored out most of the time, occasionally going into a marina for the night. Inflatable on davitts off the stern worked great and gave us flexibility as to anchoring.
Second week of August brought her down to Ilwaco for fishing. Ran to Neah Bay the first day. Neah Bay is a great place. End of the road on the tip of Cape Flatterly. Indian Reservation so fuel is cheaper, and in Neah Bay it all about fishing. Plently of nice boats in as well. Met owner of a 35' TE who was full of good information. In the AM took off down the outside. Cut inside Tatoosh Island on the advice of the locals into pea soup fog on the ocean. Ran down to Umatilla Reef for some quick bottom fishing and then out to about 30 miles offshore to the tuna grounds. Got into tuna (albacore) a bit SW of LaPush and had constant action. First time I'd fished Albacore off this boat and the boat fished beautifully. Real clean wake and plenty of deck space. Easy to fish tuna. After 3-4 hrs of action ran south a bit and drifted for the night in pea soup fog. Saw one other boat on the radar. Slept well, just not long enough. Next day continued down coast, got into tuna again off Westport. Amazing how much room is in the fish box in the stern. Put about 40 Albacore (20lb average) in the box. Ran out of ice so headed for the Columbia River Bar. Little swell was running, but the northside of the Columbia Bar was still sloppy from the after effects to the ebb. Boat handled it without a problem. Stable ride. Into Ilwaco and got to moor at the commercial docks. More room and nicer docks.
Week later 3 of us took her out for a overnight to the tuna grounds. Hit the Halibut hole on the way out and limited on Halibut in about 1-2hrs. Then out to the tuna grounds. Again the boat was a champ tuna fishing. Got all the tuna we needed and could handle and shut down and began drifting at about 7pm. Trouble was northwest wind was blowing all day and there was enough of a chop and drift that we were like a cork bouncing around. Plates sliding off the table, etc. Drifted with the seas abeam all night 40 miles offshore. Think I need a sea anchor off my bow to keep the boat into the sea and minimize the roll. Did ok when supine, but when up for watch not that much fun. In AM headed inshore for salmon as we had all the tuna we needed. Boat does not salmon fish well. With both engines lowest speed is about 3.6 kts and even with a single engine hard to get her much under 3. Hate to continually throw her in and out of gear. Back to Ilwaco where she now sits awaiting next adventure.
Have changed oil, gear oil and impellers, and am due to change fuel filters. Pedestal leg on table is sticking and from what is posted on prior boards will likely need to order new pedestal. Recaulked port rub last winter, starboard has to be done this winter, have older Ray Marine combo plotter, radar, sonar. Radar works great put chart plotter will lose fix more often than should. Need to get that looked at and may need to replace. Hace Coastal Navigator as backup which works great. Otherwise all systems are working well. Had diver look at bottom says I have 6 months more on zinc.
Boat does burn fuel..@ 17-18 kts about 1 kt per gallon, at 7-8 kts about 2-3 kt per gallon.
Thinking about Alaska next year
Jeff S
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Update on performance of 31 TE over the summer

Post by zinbaad »

Dont ya just love the 31.. Alway an adventue on the water.. Thanks for the great report
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Inkwretch

Post by Inkwretch »

Great report. I am considering buying a TE 31 with twin Peninsulars. Anybody have a fuel consumption report with dual peninsulars? At less 1kt/gallon with yanmars at 17-18 kts, I would expect the peninsulars to be considerably worse. Any info is appreciated.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Jeff: Enjoyed your summer report. Not only do you give a great report on the 31' but you all did really well with the fish. Sounds like lots of fuel for a longer trip such as you two have made up to Alaska.
whwells

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”