• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Repower of an older Albin 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Repower of an older Albin 28TE

Post by RobS »

One thing to consider, depending on how much repair and maintenance you will take on yourself, is there a good mechanic locally you will be able to depend on when the need arises. Like you said, not a popular engine compared to others. Be sure the price is right, the installation, maintenance and condition all check out and you are happy with the performance. Many members have then Penn diesel and do quite well with it.

Search this site for prior posts. Here's one: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1438&hilit=GM+BLOCK
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey JSO,

Where is your part of the world?

The Peninsular is a marinized GM engine and I have to tell you that I love mine. Mine is a 1997 with just shy of 900 hours on it and I'm doing my best to add more whenever possible! It runs like a champ. There was a problem some time ago with mid-1990's engines but I would have no fears of a 2006.

Peninsular is a small shop but very much still in business and I've had no trouble getting a couple of spares from them. For peace of mind you may want to give them a call, they're very helpful.

I've been watching the posts lately on some folks having trouble finding parts in a timely manner for their much more famous engines (Yanmar and Cummins) so you can always face challenges regardless of brand. Honestly I'd be more concerned about the boat itself than the practically new engine in it.

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

The problem years were 96-98. Having a newer engine you could probably purchase an extended warranty from Peninsular. Personally, I would not, but some folks like the peace of mind. Whatever you decide, I agree with Doug. Worry about the rest of the boat and be sure to get a survey.
A call to the Peninsular factory will find very helpful guys.

Welcome aboard
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
gtowens
Swabby
Swabby

Post by gtowens »

I have a 1996 Peninsular 300 in a 28 TE and love it. The only problem that I have encountered is the hot starts. The glow plugs must be used for a few seconds on every start (hot or cold). I installed a manual glow plugs switch that works great and solved the problem. My engine has around 650 hours on it.

Good luck in your search.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”