• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hull number-what year?

Albin's "power cruisers"
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mactaquac New Brunswick Canada

Hull number-what year?

Post by glk34 »

Our A25 is hull number 2-337, can I tell what year she is? Some say 1970? The number is located on the ALBIN brass name plate just to port of the steering wheel
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Hull number-what year?

Post by hetek »

The year is usually the last two digits of the hull number, but I seriously doubt your boat is a 1937! It is also a longer number than that.

Seems either the Swedes didn't follow that convention or it wasn't in effect at the time of your boat's manufacture, or both.

Yeah, I know... no help, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

Look for a number on the hull itself (usually on the transom or on the side near the stern). If you can find it post it and we can decipher the date the hull was laid and the model year of the boat.
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by glk34 »

Thanks for the replys. I will do another once over on the hull for the number. All my documentation for the boat only indicates the 2-337 number. I know from other boats I had that the number is usually much longer and on the starboard transom. Someone told me that pre 1970 boats were not required to have transom stamped numbers. Anyone else hear this?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

glk34 wrote:?..Someone told me that pre 1970 boats were not required to have transom stamped numbers. Anyone else hear this?
HINs are required on all boats built or imported since November 1, 1972.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

Well, there's your answer !!
ghaffy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Vienna, Austria (Europe)

Post by ghaffy »

Maybe a bit late, however what I may contribute is:
2-337 is obviously a "Series 2 - Hull No. 337".
"Series 2" means that they were the FIRST ones that were built (Series 1 - if ever existing - was maybe a sort of beta-version or so). Referring to the database of the Dutch Albin 25 Club, the year should indeed be 1970 (there is e.g. a #307 in the database from 1970, a #385 and a #670 from 1970 etc.).
Obviously at the beginning of the 1970s (1971?) Albin Sweden stopped calling them "Series 2". From then on you will only find plates stating a 4-digit number below the "Albin, Kristinehamn, Sweden".

However, one may never be sure. The list of HID and years of built is far from being consistent. Throughout the years and various owners some Albins have obviously become younger and younger. In the database you might find HIDs 966/1978 and 2509/1976, which is a bit unusual counting, to say the least.
Even our Dido - #1178 - was built in 1978 the documents say. Of course this very likely is not so, it should rather be 1972 or so.

In those days here in Europe it was not common to stamp the year onto the hull.
If anything, you'd rather find a plate, and very often they had been removed for painting or so sometime, and never were put back again. :P

Regards
Andreas
A25 "Dido" 1178
http://www.albin25.eu
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by glk34 »

Thanks Andreas, I do now agree that "Iron Jack" is 1970. Great that the plate has stayed all these years and is still readable. What a great summer we have had learning the "power boat" ropes. Being able to trailer is better than I thought. It is too bad our season here in New Brunswick is coming to an end. About one more month and its to storage for Iron Jack.

Chris
"Iron Jack"
ghaffy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Vienna, Austria (Europe)

Post by ghaffy »

Chris,
Never ask them ladies about their age. Anyway, they still look great, don't they. :wink:

Also here the summer is apparently over. By the end of September in our club there will be the "finish-the-season party", and also we will put her on the trailer then. However, we park the trailer in our garden, and the time for minor or major refits, modifications, paint work etc. will start then. So practically it is boating season all the year round. :)

I am really looking forward to starting the planned jobs: Dido will get her hull painted, the aft part of the canvas will be replaced by a hardtop, and the DIY watermaker will get a engine-driven pump as a replacement for the AC pump that is installed at the moment.

I hope fall and winter will be long enough for these tasks ... :lol:

Regards from Vienna, Austria
Andreas
A25 #1178 "Dido"
www.albin25.eu

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”