• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Proud (and exhausted) new owner - 27 FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Proud (and exhausted) new owner - 27 FC

Post by hetek »

It happened...

I've finally bought one! A 1984 FC!

Not pristine, yet not bad. Let's say she has character.
Well equipped. Radar, autopilot, bow thruster, GPS/Chartplotter...
Recent cabin cushions and full canvas are definite pluses.
And, yup... the Lehman 4 cylinder runs great.

The down side? It's 350 miles away. I have a truck heading to pick her up within the week.
The "exhausting" part? Hey, 10 1/2 hours each way in a minivan with your wife and three kids (11, 8 and 6) and you'd be exhausted too!

I'm sure I'll enjoy the relaxing pace of the Albin with the 4 cylinder Lehman!

And as a wise man once told me (actually, he was the owner of the dock I rented once) -

"Eventually you just want a boat that goes slow enough that you can hear the blender run..."

For me, it's about that time!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Proud (and exhausted) new owner - 27 FC

Post by DougSea »

hetek wrote:?...

"Eventually you just want a boat that goes slow enough that you can hear the blender run..."
That's classic!

Of course you can always buy a very loud blender!

Congratulations and good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Great news. Congratulations!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Treeman
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Treeman »

Congratulations but you'll get no sympathy for your trip from me. When I bought my 25 I drove from Austin, Texas to Cumming, Georgia in my one ton dually to pick it up. On the way I was pulled over by a rotund local Alabama policeman who was completely convinced that I must be transporting great mounds of cocaine and searched the truck with that in mind. Lots of nooks and crannies in a truck that size...

On the way back none of the gas stations had fuel! It was September '08 when Hurricane Ike shut the refineries down and Georgia somehow got cut off for a few days. I don't need to tell you that a one ton truck towing a ton and a half of boat takes some fuel.

I guess the bottom line is, it's worth all the hassle. Welcome aboard!
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Thanks Guys -

No sympathy needed. I think the worst was the guy who just bought my 28' Carver 280 Express. He drove from Kansas to NY - straight through (he did have two other co-drivers with him). 24 HOURS! He arrived at my dock at 7pm, looked over the boat quickly, went for a 1/2 hour test ride, hooked up the trailer and hauled it out... And drove 24 hour home! Blew out 3 trailer bearings in Ohio (towing at 75 mph will do that). He made it, though.

The reason I sold the Carver is... get this... It didn't go slow enough! It fell off plane at less than 20 kts with the family on board. Most times I just wanted to go slower, but couldn't. Gee, I sure hope the Albin goes slower than 20 kts! :lol:

That quote about the blender was from my former dock's landlord. I used to keep my 19' Donzi there. Next year I showed up with a 32' Pacemaker, When he asked why I switched boats I told him I just wanted to go slower in comfort, hence, his comment.

I think I took the "going slower" thing to the extreme this time!

And here's what my former boss once said about me (to my future wife, no less!) -

"Jon has two speeds... 'slow' and 'slower'. If you don't like the first you're sure not gonna like the second".

He must have seen a Albin 27 in my future!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian »

Congrats on the new boat hetek.
Any photos?
We have a family (13,10 & 7 yrs.) that squishes into our 25.
Just happy to move up from an 18'!!
If you want to go to even more extremes, you could try a 25'...we fly around at 6kts!
Brian
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by leprof31 »

Ya! Congratulation...
Like Brian said: 5 on a 25 is a bit squishes, but it helps to find a way to get zen! At 6 knots against current,there is plenty of time to think about that way of behave! :) (I hope I don't look confuse, I'm french speaking.)
On a 27, you should be more confortable!
svpp10
Mate
Mate

Post by svpp10 »

Regarding loud blenders, there's a Bar/Resort on Normans Cay, Exumas, Bahamas, that has a weed wacker to drive a blender. Honest.
Good luck with the new yacht.
Paul J.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

The down side? It's 350 miles away. I have a truck heading to pick her up within the week.
The "exhausting" part? Hey, 10 1/2 hours each way in a minivan with your wife and three kids (11, 8 and 6) and you'd be exhausted too!
I hear you. I bought my Albin 320 miles away in Rochester, NY. 4 1/2 hours each way, made 9 trips back and forth ran the boat to Mystic, Ct on it's own hull (530 nautical miles). Nice way to learn the boat.
Best of luck.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

I thought about running it home, but I'll let the truck do the moving this time and I'll take my time getting to know her better!

The latest: The transporter leaves at 3am tomorrow morning (Tuesday) to go get her (mostly to avoid traffic). I should be seeing her at my marina Wednesday morning. I might have to skip out of work for an hour or so to welcome her to her new home! (Don't tell my boss!)
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
RonGinger
Swabby
Swabby

Post by RonGinger »

I bought my 1990 A27 from John Murray in Ottawa Canada, I live in Boothbay Maine. Its a 400+ mile drive, but I came home by water, the long way, through Detroit Michigan. 2100 miles, 135 locks. One of the greatest trips I every made. If you want to read about it see http://plsntcov.8m.com/Albin/TripLog.htm

I did have some concerns about such a trip in a new to me boat, but John said the boat was fine, and the survey found no problems, so I brought along a good tool box and made the trip. I didnt have any problems with boat or engine, just some minor hassles with the auto pilot.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

That was a well travelled A-27! While my "delivery trip" did not match Ron's I purchased the boat in St. Michael's Maryland and brought it up here to Ottawa in the water, a distance of about 1000 miles through the ICU, the Erie Canal, across Lake Ontario and up the Rideau Canal. I found the A-27 to be a remarkably comfortable and reliable boat for lengthy trips like both Ron and I have taken.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Ron -

Believe it or not, I read your blog about your trip one night - from beginning to end!

Amazing trip you took! I'm both very impressed and very jealous!

I once looked at a boat in the upstate NY Finger Lakes region and considered a water delivery at the time. I most likely would have retraced part of your trip home, through the NY canals, the Hudson River and the length of Long Island Sound. That sale (and "sail") never happened. The transporter wanted about $2,200 for trucking that boat to my marina. I would have seriously considered sailing her home, instead.

To bring my "new" boat home, I would have to run in open ocean for several hours. I'm just not that experienced with oceans and inlets yet and didn't feel comfortable learning on an unknown boat. A little sloshing of the fuel tanks, stirring up the sediment, and a clogged fuel filter at just the wrong time and I foresee a nightmare. Plus, I would have to make the run solo also.

I'm going to take it slow and easy with this one. That's what a Albin 27 is made for, isn't it? :)
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”