• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hello from new owner

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Hello from new owner

Post by Russell »

I just purchased the 1997 28 TE listed by Bluewater in Hampton VA. I hope it will be a good boat but right now I am overwhelmed with maintenance as the boat sat for a long time. I was impressed on a sea trial in rough water when the boat mowed down the waves like a tank rather than slamming and bouncing. My boys are eager to go striper fishing and I hope to be out there in a couple of weeks.
Russ
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Welcome

Post by JackK »

Welcome. Always good to see another fisherman in the Albin Family.

Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

hampton

Post by AlMar »

Welcome aboard :!: My wife and I went over to look at that boat a few weeks ago. Hope they gave you a good deal. Nice boat with some care. They never answered my email or I might have gotten there first :wink: More then a few of us around the end of the bay. Hope to see you out there
AlMar
32 Sportfisherman
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi

Post by SpaceCoaster »

Welcome to the Albin group. I know you'll love your new boat.

I purchased a '94 TE two years ago that had been sitting and required work because the previous owner was a two boat owner (he had a 42' motoryacht as well). A few months after he sold it to me I called the him to ask a question. He said, "I think I sold the wrong boat, shoulda kept the Albin." Since then I've been putzing around repairing and restoring a little at a time. The fact that it's a reasonable sized boat at 28' makes it easier to handle the projects, time and money-wise.

Hopefully your situation is like mine where the engine seemed reasonably well maintained but the cosmetic stuff was brushed aside by the previous owner. The rest of the systems and cosmetics can be addressed w/o too much pain of the bank account.

Of course, by applying "boat logic" to one's boat-fixing spending plan you can justify spending all spare change and precious time fixing up your new baby. If you've owned a boat, I'm sure you know the drill. I just take solace in the fact that my kids still know my name and still call me 'Dad'. :D

Jorge
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Welcome to the Albin family and to this group. Both are top notch!

Most everything I have found out and observed about my Albin is all good. You are correct, the ride in rough weather is great. Weather, wind and seas used to keep me at the dock often with my last boat, but the more I try with this 28 TE the more I like.
Good luck with your new boat and this web site has some very knowledgeable people out here, don't heitate to ask for help here.

Denis, "Red Stripe"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Russell,
Welcome to the group. You'll love the boat. I think based on the pictures I saw on YachtWorld, that the same boat you purchased, I tried to buy several years ago but a contract had already been signed. I think the orginial owner was something like a Tug Boat Captain if I'm right. Cummins 250 HP? Just remember that a boat is a work in progress. I ended up with a 99 out of VA. Beach and there are always projects to do...big and small. Good luck and keep visiting the boards. I'm out for Stripers this Sunday.

Tight lines.... 8)
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Russell,
Welcome to the board and congratulations on your boat! Post some pics when you get time. You'll end up being a loyal owner and I'm sure it will give you many good years.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome and encouragement. It is really a small world. The broker, Pete Peters, told me that this boat was originally purchased by a retired harbor pilot who seemed to really know what he was doing. It was then sold by Pete to a Navy Captain but he said he had a retired fire chief that was also interested. That must be you chiefrcd. Then between the time I looked at it and went back for the sea trial he said a couple looked at it and was very interested. Sounds like AnMar? Yes it is a 250 hp which I thought was a little small but at 2300 RPM it did 17 knots and that is fast enough for me. I had a 22 ft Shamrock before that could go a lot faster but in rough seas the pounding hurts my back.
This site will be a great source of information and I hope we can put together a cruise on the lower Bay sometime.
Russ
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
tomcat rio

17 kts at 2300 rpm is great...

Post by tomcat rio »

..do you have a fuel flow gage?
if so, what is the actual fuel flow at 17 kts?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

I do not have a fuel flow gage but the Cummins manual has the fuel consumption rated at 12.5 GPH. It does not say at what RPM but the horsepower is rated at 2600 RPM. I understand that the fuel consumption of a diesel engine is fairly constant at a given RPM regardless of the boat or weight. The speed of the boat and gallons per mile will vary though.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
DBM

Post by DBM »

Russel,

We are also looking at moving up from a '98 20 WAC Shamrock. We are considering the same rig you just purchased. Congratulations!!!!

How do the ride compare to the shamrock? I can't wait to sea trial a 28 albin but in the mean time any impressions and or opinions of the differences good and or bad would be greatly appreciated.

David
Liberty
Oxford MD
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Hi David:
I recognize you from Fish the Classic where I learned a great deal about these lobster boats or Downeasters. The Albin 28 is a natural progression if you like the Shamrock. I was looking for a diesel powered 260 Mackinaw for 2 years and finally gave up. I just put the Albin back in the water after painting the bottom and hoped to get out this weekend for the first time. The weather may not cooperate but if we get out I will post my impressions. The sea trial was impressive as I mentioned above and with the Cummins engine, trolling valve, enclosed cabin with engine run heater it promises to be a great striper fishing boat. The big ones are right off Cape Henry during December and January. Russ
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

David
We got out both days this weekend even though it was a nor'easter again blowing 15 with a good chop. The Albin is really a plush ride with no pounding and I am amazed that the 250 horse Cummins can push it at 18 to 19 knots at 2300 RPM. I am still experimenting with the trim tabs to find the ideal position. There were not many boats out on Saturday and I felt almost guilty looking out from our warm and dry pilothouse at those in open boats. Sunday was better with winds under 10 MPH. A beautiful day but we did not catch any stripers. The biger ones are not here yet so there is still time.
I am having a block heater installed to help with starting all winter and to keep condensation from rusting the engine on the inside.
Russ
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Russell,
Sounds like you're really enjoying the boat. They are a sweet ride in the bay, even when it's rough. I've been out for the last 5 days running, trying to find that elusive 48" striper with my name on it. Regarding your trim tabs. I was trying to find the right combination for my boat. I have the 6lp Yanmar with a Velvet Drive 5000 transmission. Long story short, my boat does it's very best with NO tabs. After two and a half years of playing with them, I only use my tabs to balance the boat from right to left. I'm a pretty big guys so when I'm out alone, I just tweek the starboard tab to level out the boat and that's it. If I have three of us on board and two move to the port side, I tweek the port trimtab and we're back on a even keel. Any attempt to use the tabs to change the boat from bow to stern just results in the boat slowing down.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
"FINESTKIDS"

new owner

Post by "FINESTKIDS" »

Hello,
We sold our catalina 30' at the end of last season, and purchased an 1984 Albin 27'AC, what a great boat. We turn the key and are off to a pleasant cruise, not much faster than the Catalina but lots of fun and less work LOL. The wife and kids just love the boat "FINESTKIDS" and we get many looks and compliments on such a classic looking boat.

George, Donna and kids
"FINESTKIDS"
Newburyport, MA

Return to “General Discussion”