• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin Fever

rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Albin Fever

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member who has been researching the Albin 28 TE for over a year and a half. After much searching and studying, I am proud to say that I am now a proud owner of a 1997 Albin TE. I just bought the Albin listed by Dwight Tracy and Friends in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I wanted to extend my sincere thanks to Ric M and J. Pirino for thier advice and guidance. Because of thier input and direction, I decided to go through with the sale.

The boat was surveyed by a hull and engine surveyor. According to both individuals, the boat surveyed extremely well. There were some small items needing attention like, lights, electrical plugs, and fire extinguishers. The most important item was that the dripless packing was leaking. I am having that repaired now by a very reputable marina in Fort lauderdale. There was one item I was hoping to get some advice on. According to the surveyor, the head is not pumping in flush water to complete the flush. Does anyone know what can be wrong with it and how to fix it? I am sure I can do that myself but don't really know what to look for since I have never owned a boat with a restroom in it. As a matter of fact, I have never owned a boat like this; with an inboard diesel. Can anyone guide me to a website that may give you some sequential steps on what to do prior to using the boat. Is there some things you should have on or check before leaving the dock. I know that may sound dumb to many of you but I just don't want to forget to turn on a valve that is critical to use for the restroom or something like that.

Thanks again for letting me be part of your great network of boaters dedicated to the Albin. If anyone lives in the South Texas area, let me know. I would love to meet and possibly do some boat trips together.

Blessings,
Roland Cornejo
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Albin Fever

Post by jcollins »

Roland,
Congratulations on your purchase. You will not be disappointed. Welcome to AOG. You mentioned a website recommendation? There are two that I can think of. Boatdiesel.com has been a valuable resource for all of us. Quite a bit of the information found there has drifted back to AOG and can be found using the search funcion. The second site I recommend is albinowners.net. This site was started by someone that was in your shoes a few years ago.
The first thing that comes to mind in reference to your flush problem is the through-hull. The valve is open correct? Sometimes it's the simplest things. My surveyor failed my front bilge pump until we realized it was just turned off.
Then check all hoses, fittings, etc. Look through the toilet manual to be sure all parts that should be working are there. By the way, I use my shower head to pump fresh water into the head most of the time.

Here is a post from RicM that talks about handling. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3015

As far as what to do before leaving the dock, I'm sure someone will jump in here with a good checklist.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi John,

Thanks for all the information. I will look at the websites and check the flush problems. I will keep you posted on what I find out. I should have the boat in South Texas sometime early August. Once I get it, I will post some pictures of her.

Thanks for your help.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jcollins wrote:... By the way, I use my shower head to pump fresh water into the head most of the time...
That's the only method we use. Keeps the sea critters out of the bowl and the tank, greatly reducing nasty smells! (In fact i just "repurposed" the head raw water inlet for my AC.) A number of guys have re-plumbed the head into the non pressurized side of the fresh water system for the same result in a neater package.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Thanks Doug, sounds like that is the best way to go. I guess that's what I will do rather than trying to fix something I may not want to use anyway. One other question, how often and how does one empty the tank (waste)?

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

The tank isn't very big on a 28 so I empty mine fairly often, it all depends on use. You should also use a holding tank treatment, I use one of the liquid versions (it's green, sold by West Marine, and I can't for the life of me think of the name!), just a little bit is all it takes. Also, we use the marine or RV toilet paper. Don't need Charmin clogging up the works.

Finally, when I pump out I always fill the bowl with fresh water. The suction of the pump out will drain it and that way I know nothing is in the line from the toilet to the tank. After I pump the tank out I take the fresh water hose that's always at the pump out station and blast a couple of gallons of fresh water down the pump out line, let is sit for a few seconds and then pump that out. Keeps the tank just a little bit cleaner.

Best of luck and congratulations on joining the Albin family!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

rcornejo wrote:Thanks Doug, sounds like that is the best way to go. I guess that's what I will do rather than trying to fix something I may not want to use anyway. One other question, how often and how does one empty the tank (waste)?

Roland
The problem with the toilet can either be that it is not pulling the water (problem with jocker or flapper valve) or the supply is restricted (problem with inlet hose or seacock). So even if you plumbed it to fresh water she may not pull the water in. The toilet should be rebuildable. Not sure what make/model toilet you have?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Thanks Rob. Once I get the boat here, I will begin researching that further. Does not seem too complicated.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

My Jabsco head did the same thing. It turned out to be an o-ring located on the plunger handle. Put on some gloves and undo the screws that hold the handle in place. Lift the assembly off being careful to hold the flapper valve in place until you can get a look at how it seats. I didn't and it took a few minutes to figure out how to put humpty dumpty back together. I replaced the o-ring and then just cleaned the rubber flapper valves and screwed it back together. O-Lay problem solved.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the feedback. I will look at it closer once the boat gets here. I may start with figuring out the lines and values, making sure they are ok. If all that checks out, I will do what you did and see what we find.

Thanks again.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

RobS wrote:
rcornejo wrote:Thanks Doug, sounds like that is the best way to go. I guess that's what I will do rather than trying to fix something I may not want to use anyway. One other question, how often and how does one empty the tank (waste)?

Roland
The problem with the toilet can either be that it is not pulling the water (problem with jocker or flapper valve) or the supply is restricted (problem with inlet hose or seacock). So even if you plumbed it to fresh water she may not pull the water in. The toilet should be rebuildable. Not sure what make/model toilet you have?
I didn't think it was a good idea to plumb it to your fresh water. Couldn't that run a risk of contaminating your water? We do put a cup of fresh water in the head just to keep it cleaner smelling.
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

tomcat wrote: I didn't think it was a good idea to plumb it to your fresh water. Couldn't that run a risk of contaminating your water? We do put a cup of fresh water in the head just to keep it cleaner smelling.
It was done using a high quality check valve.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

I had the same problem on my 27FC (no flush water being pumped up) the Jabsco rebuild kit with all the seals and check valves was $65.00 and a new flush unit was $100.00 I got the new one and happily learned that the new ones are improved with a locking device on the main flap valve that eliminates order creeping in, It works great with no more smells
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Panhdjoe,

Do you remember where you got your kit from. I would like to have that in the event I go that route.

Thanks for your help.
Roland Cornejo
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

rcornejo wrote:Hi Panhdjoe,

Do you remember where you got your kit from. I would like to have that in the event I go that route.

Thanks for your help.
Roland Cornejo
Let "Google" be your personal shopping assistant. You will find many suppliers. West Marine sells Jabso heads and parts if you want to go to a store and get an idea as to what the parts look like. Here is the West Marine link. http://www.westmarine.com/1/3/twist-n-l ... kits-parts

I was planning to rebuild mine years ago but found the new Jabsco manual twist n lock compact head on sale for about $119. so for the extra $$ I just replaced the entire thing. Just four screws at the base and a couple hose clamps and done. The base was not through bolted so the screws just back out. Many consider this head a poor choice but for the price and simplicity I stuck with it. I have 3 ladies aboard and we do quite a bit of over-nighting so it gets it's use and I am very happy with it. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1840&hilit=little+head
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”