• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Exhaust warning light

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Exhaust warning light

Post by Capt Paul »

Well after five years of having Antoinette it finally happened. I needed to get towed in.

I hadn't been to the boat in about 3 weeks do to one thing or another. Probably the longest time I had not been down to the boat to at least start the engine and check things. Anyway, plan was to prepare her for a trip we are planning to take after the July 4th Holiday up to Sacramento. It’s about a 200NM round trip through the Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta and River system.

Did the usual before starting, check oil level , check cooling water level, start engine, no problems. I took her over to the fuel dock to top off the tanks. I decided to take a little ride to give her a good run not having been out for 3 weeks. Bring her up to about 2800 RPM and within a few seconds the exhaust light comes on !!!!%^%^%^%&%^%!!!!. Mind you at this point I'm in Oakland inner harbor, a very busy place where all the boats from China come in and unload, but with luck, it' not that busy of a day, the current it slack and hardly any wind (very lucky). So I can take my time to figure things out. I shut the engine down immediately. Open up the engine box and take a look around, no leaks that I can see. Decided to start the engine and within a few seconds the exhaust light is back on, I also had been monitoring the temps gages before the exhaust light came on and it looked normal. Looking around while the engine is running and still no leaks. Shut her down, and decided to check the raw water intake strainer, all looked good there. I checked the exhaust port while at idle and it’s spitting water like it usually does. So the water pump and impeller seem to be working but exhaust light and alarm are on and blaring away. Did a quick check of all sensor wiring that I could locate to see if anything was loose.

A sail boat came by that saw me floating in the middle of the channel and checked in with me, I thanked them for their concern and since I was in no dire straights at this point waved them off. Decided to call vessel assist and finally use my tow insurance, I got to admit , I very nice thing to have! While waiting for the tow to arrive I called my mechanic and discussed things with him. We overhauled the cooling system about 3 years ago but it still could be just about anything. A failed sensor or connection to some kind of possible blockage in the raw water colling system.

I plan to go back to the boat today to see if I can find anything obvious in the electrical system. Mechanic will be on the boat Monday morning to check things out if I cannot find anything.

If anyone has had any experience with this kind of issue please chime in. I dod a quick check of the maintenance forum and could not find anything there except for one of my posts when we overhauled the cooling system

The one thing I am very happy about is that this do not happen while on my vacation trip with the wife and friends aboard :shock:

Thanks for any help in advance!

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Exhaust warning light

Post by Anthony1013 »

This happened to me... twice. My 1999 Albin is powered with a 6-LP Yanmar, 300hp. Based off your story, I'm guessing yours is too? Both times for me, it was the sensor that measures the water flow. My boat is down at the coast right now so I can't be super specific by snapping a picture or anything however I can tell you it's on the Starboard site of the engine after the water impellar. Both times, the sensor was faulty. My local Yanmar center told me that quite a few of these engines don't even have that sensor. If I remember correctly, the part was just $100 bucks and it's super easy to access. Mine even has bullet connectors on the wiring.... feel free to call me if you need any more details.

Anthony
206-226-7700
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Anthony,

Thanks for the info. I do have a Yanmar and I hoping what your saying is the case. I know exactly where that sensor is and it very easy to get too. I'll let you know if that was it.

Paul
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

My fingers are crossed for you Paul!
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Well it turned out to be the impeller, which doesn't have more then 60 hrs on it. The metal ring in the center dislodged from the rubber part and it was free spinning. This is the first time I have seen this happen. I'm going to talk to the supplier I bought it from and see if I can at least get a discount on a new one. Good to know the water flow sensor does its job and again glad this happened this week rather then next week.

Paul

Return to “Albin Maintenance”