• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Canvas

driftaway
Gold Member
Gold Member

Canvas

Post by driftaway »

Canvas

Just bought a 2003 28 engine box with Y315, love it… Ran it down from LI last week, in preparation for running her to her permanent home in Ft. Lauderdale…

This one has the normal “pilot house bulkhead” canvas and a standard “storage cover” (sloping from cabin to cockpit rail all round). I will be adding a second “bulkhead” canvas made of screen, screens for the two rear sliding windows, a screen for the opening front window and ultimately turning the forward hatch around and adding a “dodger” for it (great stuff when anchored in rain).

I want to procure a removable sun/rain cover for the rear deck area. Ideally it should be useable at anchor or underway, easy to completely remove, small to store out of the way and have a simple way to attach a “low sun” panel. I would like to be able to use it when the “bulkhead” screen is in place.

Having seen several approaches to canvas on the 28s I thought to take advantage of thoughts, observations and experience from the group. I apologize if there is a discussion of this elsewhere. If so please just redirect me. I am still learning my way around.

Thanks,

Kelly
Currently Magothy River, Ches Bay
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: Canvas

Post by joe.baar »

Driftaway,
The "search" function on this site will pull up 36 matches for the word "Bimini" if you start from the Board Index page. Many of these posts have photos of the installations and you'll get some idea of the wide variety of solutions for this problem. I've been chewing on this for about three years but so far about all I know is, a Bimini will fold up out of the way or remove entirely with relative ease, it will provide great sun and rain shelter, these boats are really too large for an off-the-shelf solution - 96" wide x 72" - 96" long is pretty big, side curtains can be attached, and canvas fabricators in my area (Seattle) want around $1,800 for the simplest setup.

There's one photo of an aluminum or stainless frame mounted to the radar arch with a smallish, stretched canvas laced to it but I think that's too minimalist and I can't find it at the moment. Here's one from the Bahamas I thought was pretty creative, although it looks more permanent than what I'd like:
BahamasAlbinBimini.jpg
Good luck in your search.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Kelly,

Here's a post I did a while back on my Bimini:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=795&p=4745&hilit=+bimini#p4745

I'm probably going to modify it this summer by replacing the rear straps with support poles so it can be stored upright. The bottom of the primary posts have a quick release pin so it is removable - but it's pretty heavy and a bit difficult to manouver it anywhere to store it off the boat.

Hope this helps.

Doug
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
SeaJAlbin28
Mate
Mate

Post by SeaJAlbin28 »

When we bought our boat, also an Albin 28 TE it had a pretty-well-used-up folding bimini that was functional but not very attractive. Last summer, we approached our local canvas expert, and created a permanent tower made out of 2 inch anodized aluminum, with a stamoid lace-on top, that follows the roof line perfectly and gives us way more than adequate shade. We incorporated a slide all around, and have a mesh shade that we can place on either side, or at the stern.

Our primary use of the SeaJ is for cruising, but I am also an avid fisherman and have found that this setup works whether trolling or bottom fishing...here's a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Chris and Judy,
aboard SeaJ, an Albin 28 TE
SeaJAlbin28
Mate
Mate

Post by SeaJAlbin28 »

Here is the port side view, with side sun shade in place.
Chris and Judy,
aboard SeaJ, an Albin 28 TE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”