• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

HELP...I am a new owner....power problems

Albin's "power cruisers"
nwflbimmer
Gold Member
Gold Member

HELP...I am a new owner....power problems

Post by nwflbimmer »

I have a 1984 with what I believe is a stock engine. It came with a 61hp Ford Lehman. The prop i think is too small. If I push the throttle all the way the rpms are reading 3700. I am not sure if tachometer is good or not. It seems to hit a sweet spot at about 2500 rpms but it running only 6.5kts. What is the reccomended diameter and pitch on this boat? I also saw another one of these boats with a bench seat at the helm.....anyone have a diy or suggestion for seating at the helm?

I cant seem to access the library is there posting requirements before I can look there?
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: HELP...I am a new owner....power problems

Post by Dave »

I have the 160HP Isuzu in the Albin 27, I never run over 2500 RPM and at that I would get about 8.5 knots. Can't help you with the prop.
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don from Mystic »

6.5 is your correct cruise. Your prop is 15x11 RH. You have a Lehman PEUGEOT (not Ford) Which orig redlined at 4K. (developing the 61 HP at 3.5 K rpm if memory serves correctly) Your stats are identical to my '83 a/c. A bigger wheel will cause the Lehmans tongue to hang out and hasten its demise. Read through the forums old posts - I made one Identical to yours when I bought my Albin 3 years ago. Because of the hull design, you would need a disproportionate increase in HP to gain just a few knots more. Join the Yahoo Albin Cruisers group. They have Stats from members on motor/speed/prop - interesting reference.
Good luck with the new boat. Ive had many boats and this is the slowest - but best - Ive had the pleasure of owning.

Don
Last edited by Don from Mystic on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Don,
Join the Yahoo Albin Cruisers group. They have Stats from members on motor/speed/prop - interesting reference
Can we get those stats listed here on the AOG rather than redirecting members to another source? I fully understand that there are other forums out there, but this is a really good one and the more we put into this the better it will be in the future.

Just a thought...
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don from Mystic »

Id think theres an ethical aspect to doing that. The info, submitted/compiled by their membership, is only a few clicks away. I believe John has approached the site in the past suggesting an affiliation.
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Don,

You are correct. Honestly I hadn't thought that far into it, Sorry!

This is where I was coming from though; We were formerly very involved with a sailboat owners group that was well run and had good membership. but slowly people drifted away and sought other sources for their technical questions and data collection. Now the site is just a conversational location. Not bad, just not the same.

I'd really like to see more project and technical photo documentation and dialog here. There was alot of this with the old group and it proved very helpful and informative. We have a great brand, and most of us have little or no factory support, so it's up to us to inform one another and help new owners.

As we have started in on The Lass, it's no secret that we take a lot of photos, (1600 or so) this started with the other group. No one else (or very few) had dug into the projects the way we had, so we started a running improvement thread which had a huge number of views and helped many new owners. I truly hope that by our documenting all this someone can glean useful information for their project. Our restoration site is hopefully to augment the AOG, not take away from it.

I just think that John has done such a great job here, that we as owners and potential owners should utilize it to the fullest.

So, sorry about the rambling, that's where I was coming from, and I hope you have a great day!
Mandalay
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Port Ludlow, Washington USA

Post by Mandalay »

I have a 1985 Albin 27FC with the same engine and prop. I also get the same speed as you are - 6.5 knots at 2500 RPM, the sweet spot. More RPMs bring more noise and little gain in speed. If you look at the performance curves for the engine in the owner's manual they indicate that maximum torque, and highest fuel efficiency is right around that 2500 RPM spot. Enjoy the ride... this boat is a winner, slow, but a winner overall.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”