• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 30 FC

kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Albin 30 FC

Post by kathylsails »

My husband and I have been looking for a nice 28 TE, and we recently found that there is a 30 FC. Why were so few made? How do they compare to the 28s? We like the idea of the aft berth, but are worried about performance and resale value. Any input is appreciated!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Albin 30 FC

Post by jcollins »

kathylsails wrote:My husband and I have been looking for a nice 28 TE, and we recently found that there is a 30 FC. Why were so few made? How do they compare to the 28s? We like the idea of the aft berth, but are worried about performance and resale value. Any input is appreciated!
Hi Kathy,
Welcome to AOG. That is a very cool Albin. There weren't many made for a couple of reasons that I can think of.
1.) There wasn't a lot of demand. That model, to me, was a retro styling of the very popular A27. It is a very distintive style and doesn't fit into the clorox bottle style of boats.
2.) Albin production was winding down during the years it was produced.

Resale may be iffy. Albins, in general, hold their value but again, that wasn't a popular model. You either love it or ...

We have a few members with the 30 FC. Johnmurray comes to mind. Search the board for his posts.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

As John Collins said I am an Albin 30FC owner and have made a number of posts on this board. My boat is hull number 15, manufactured in 2005 and I purchased it new during the winter of 2005-6. I have now had four seasons with it and there are about 400 hours on the engine.
My previous boat was an Albin 27 Express (no aft cabin) and I decided that I wanted a bigger boat with a bigger engine and an aft cabin so the A-30FC appeared to be exactly what I wanted and I have not been disappointed.
Performance wise I think the A-30FC slightly out performs the A-28 with the same engine. The selling dealer suggested this may be because of the longer waterline. In any case it is not less. The forward half of the A-30FC is exactly the same as the A-28 with the same controls, bow thruster, etc. Because of the aft cabin, the cockpit in the A-30FC is smaller than that of the A-28 and the configuration makes it much less suitable for fishing. On the other hand you have a suprisingly large second cabin that provides greatly expanded and more private sleeping arrangements. Only once have I found it necessary to turn the forward cabin into a V-berth sleeping area.
Usually I sleep in the quarter berth forward and my guest(s) use the aft cabin.
While I have no thoughts of selling my boat and don't pay much attention to used boat prices, I would not worry about re-sale value because if the A-30FC sells for less than a similarily aged and used A-28 (but I do not think it does) this reduction should be reflected in the price you pay to buy it as well as the price you might later sell it for.
To sum up the key is considering how you will use your boat. If your primary interest is fishing I would not be too keen on the A-30FC. If your primary interest is cruising and and you want privacy for guests or want to avoid the hassle of making up the V-berth, go for the A-30FC.
PM me if you have any specific questions.
Cheers...John
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Many thanks! We have decided to make the 6 hour drive to look at one next weekend and also have another one "on the back burner".
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”