• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sodablasting metals

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sodablasting metals

Post by Cape Codder »

I was tired of having all metals below the waterline collect barnacles.

Pettit Paints recommended that the metals be stripped completely, one coat of 2-part primer, two coats of tie-coat primer, then two coats of Pettit VIVID anti-fouling on the metals (rudder, strut, intakes, tabs) I am NOT doing the prop or shaft because there has been no barnacles on them. I will also continue to use Pettit Hydrocoat on the rest of the hull (great stuff)
Yesterday I had all metals soda-blasted. Great results.

Pettit claims that this should go 2-3 years untouched, then merely lightly sand and re-coat with Pettit VIVID. NO NEED to go back down to bare metal.

That is the reason I chose this method over Prop-speed, which according to Prop-speed needs to be COMPLETELY RE-DONE every year or two.

I'll report results in November.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Sodablasting metals

Post by jcollins »

Thanks for the information Bob.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

Sooooo, how is the paint job holding up so far??? I need a better system for running gear protection.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

My wife and I went swimming this past Saturday off Martha's Vinyard, right outside of Vineyard Haven Harbor. We both remarked how fantastic the trim tabs and platform supports are doing!! No barnacles, no slime, not nothing!!
With goggles I got a good look at the rudder..........nice. The light was not sufficient to see the strut under the prop, but I assume it's clean as well.
So far, I am really pleased. It was a lot ot work to go thru, but if a quick wash and re-coat is the only thing needed next season, it'll all have been a good decision.
The true test will be in late October......when I pull her out........I'll let you know.
Thanks for asking.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Well, Santosha is on the hard, and winterized.
The laborious task that Pettit Paints recommended of stripping metal, epoxying, rubber paint, and Vivid worked awesome. Not one barnacle! Clean as can be, including the bow thruster and it's components, strut, rudder, tabs and intakes.
One other thing, the zincs wore less than before. It was the first year that the shaft zinc lasted the season.
The raw water intake remained perfectly clean, when before it was so cleogged with barnacles. Cooling water was restricted by the end of the season.
Extra work....but worth it!
Next season, a recoat with Pettit Vivid, and let's see what happens.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha

Return to “General Discussion”