• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bleeding the steering system..

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Boatmon

Bleeding the steering system..

Post by Boatmon »

This is also posted in the Classic Trawler list too;

Yesterday I bled out the steering system, as you know the bridge was off for the shipping North. I filled the resivor and pressurized to 40lbs. cracked the upper bleed screws one at a time and turned the wheel both directions until solid fluid came out. This raised a few questions;
1. the instructions say 25 or so revolutions each direction, I could only get 8 or 9 to start with and as I bled it was reduced to about 5?
2. how many wheel revolutions should it take to take the rudder from center to each side, and one side to the other?
3. Someone posted the other day that if you have three lines on the system, that you do not need to bleed? I do have three, but it would seem to me that it should need to be bled anyway?

Any in-sight no this would be greatly appreciated
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Bleeding the steering system..

Post by DougSea »

I can't comment to much on the bleeding issue per se, but 5 or so turns lock-to-lock sounds right to me. 25 must be an initial guide...can you imagine having to take 12 full revs to go from straight ahead to hard over? Docking would be impossible!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”