• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What is the realistic cruising range of a 36dc?

Boatmon

What is the realistic cruising range of a 36dc?

Post by Boatmon »

I've read all the articles, looked at all the posts, and talked to other owners, and every one seems to give me a different estimate on the effective cruising range of an Albin 36. A friend of ours on an A-40 says that at cruising speed (8mph) they burn about 1.75 gallons/hour. Another friend for ours says that we will be hard pressed to burn the 350 gallons aboard this summer? We are reformed sailors and have no need to get anywhere fast, thus the 36DC.

So what are your expierences? And what are the realities of fuel consumption?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Daryl
Mate
Mate

Re: What is the realistic cruising range of a 36dc?

Post by Daryl »

I run my A33, single Ford Lehman at 7 knots, 2 gal/hr, you do the math. It's the same speed as my Hunter 34 (another reformed sailor). 50 hours//year is 100 gallons for me so I learned new nautical terms - "FILLER UP"!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I have a single engine 40...no way I see 8 knots except at WOT. Normal cruise is 1700 to 1900 rpm,, 6.5 to 7 knots, and I think I'm at about 1.5 gph at those speeds.
Assuming you have a 120 Lehman you can figure 2 gph because it's easy math and can include genny use, and go from there. I carry 380 gallons, so at 2 gph that's 190 running hours times 6.5 knots equals 1200 miles. Of course that does not include a safety factor but you can figure from there.
800 to 900 mile range easily without worrying about running out assuming your fuel system can suck from the lower part of your tanks.

The challenge you will have is staying skilled at landing at the fuel dock. And that's a good skill to be deficient at. :wink:

I like to keep mine above 3/8 and around 3/4 so I take on some fuel at least 2 times per season. Keeps the fuel a little fresher, keeps my skills sharp, and breaks up the fuel payment :lol:

Bottom line is that your friend is correct...you won't turn over the fuel in your tank in a season unless you're running a lot of hours.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Thank you for both of your replies and sorry that I forgot to mention the other information in my earlier post; We do infact have the 120 Lehman, and a Westerbeke genny, and carry the brochure specified 350 gallons of fuel.

The former owner always kept a fuel/hour log and like you just figured 2 gal/hr (The fuel gauge hasn't worked in 18 years or so? to my thinking it's either the gauge or the sending unit) He has covered many miles with this boat, for many years, every six months he was running between VA and FL.

So his method must work, I just wanted to tap into the collective knowledge of the board and hear your in-put. Is the 1700-1900 RPM the perscribed cruising range for the 120's? We literally have only a few hour of running time thus far.

Our last boat had a little Yanmar and it was suppose to run around 1800, and our diesel mechanic said that every once in a while you had to "blow the carbon out" and opened the throttle up! I really try to baby these things but he maintains that they like to be run hard and are better for it.

After a long winter of hard labor we are looking forward to a much needed break, and a summer of enjoying our new summer home. She'll be far from perfect but much improved from the condition she was in at delivery. It's nice to be thinking about things like fuel consumption and anchoring...

Thanks for the in-put, keep it coming please!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Is the 1700-1900 RPM the perscribed cruising range for the 120's?
Yes, that is where most owners run their Lehmans. As far as "running it up" once in a while, I do that but many do not. This is a naturally aspirated engine and not as necessary as with a turbocharged aftercooled engine.
I do it mainly to make sure my cooling system is up to snuff.
I have a single fuel gage sebder in the starboard tank. The tanks are connected with a leveling line at the bottom of each tank so gaging one side is sufficient. I would say mine is 95% accurate. Your issue is probably the sender. I have easy access to mine via a hatch in the salon floor. It's a standrd sender I believe.
Get yourself a standard wooden yardstick or a wooden dowel and make a dipstick for your tanks. Use a tape measure to measure your tank depth and put some grooves on the dowel to indicate fuel level and you'll be 100% accurate all the time.

I also have the 4.4 Westerbeke genny. Rebuild the water pump before you "must". Keep a spare fuel solenoid. Parts are a little pricey but it runs very well.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”