• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oil and Fuel pumps; a few questions

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Boatmon

Oil and Fuel pumps; a few questions

Post by Boatmon »

I have also posted this in the Classic Trawler forum, as it was a trawler owner that I was talking to.

I was recently been told about small pumps used for draining the oil out of the sump of diesel engines. This is not the "in the dipstick" type oil changer. This is a small pump that is connected with fuel line or flexible copper, to the sump in place of the drain plug. There is a small ball valve just ahead of the pump to prevent accidential draining. To change oil, run the engine for a few minutes to reduce the viscosity, secure engine, open sump valve turn on pump and wait. Secure pump, shut valve, change filter, add oil...

In this same conversation fuel priming/bleed pumps were discussed. This fellow has a small in-line fuel pump (5-7 psi) just before the Racor filter. After Racor and fuel filter changes he bleeds the fuel system by momentarily running this (12V DC) electric pump, and his theory is that if the fuel pump on the diesel ever quits that this will allow the engine to run until repairs can be made

Has anyone used either of these types of systems? in theory they both sound great, I'm just wondering about the feasability and reality.

Any in-put would be welcome.
westrivertrawler

Re: Oil and Fuel pumps; a few questions

Post by westrivertrawler »

My 87' trawler has an older version of a system similiar to these systems: see http://www.x-change-r.com. Mine is permanently attached to the oil sump drain, but only uses clips to attach it to to the closest battery available for power. While I can't vouch for it's operation personally, my mechanics have never had any negitive comments. It looks like different models have the capability of operating more than one engine/genset, etc. (No affiliation, just trying to help)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”