• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Colored vs White hulls

RustyTank
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, East Beach Marina, VA

Colored vs White hulls

Post by RustyTank »

Getting ready to purchase a used TE 28'... can any owners talk to their experiences maintaining a colored Albin hull? How much effort annually on the colored hull and what is the "best" way to keep it up?

I'm assuming the color is in the glass... not painted ... but i've seen several used boats with hulls that have been painted/Awlgrip'd I'm guessing this is due to the base color getting too "aged" to clean up successfully?

All my previous boats have been white glass... but I must admit a shined up blue hull is simply georgeous... but I'll stick with white if im setting myself up for an annual battle...

- Rich Nolan
2004 28TE "CORSAIR"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Colored vs White hulls

Post by jcollins »

RustyTank wrote:Getting ready to purchase a used TE 28'... can any owners talk to their experiences maintaining a colored Albin hull? How much effort annually on the colored hull and what is the "best" way to keep it up?

I'm assuming the color is in the glass... not painted ... but i've seen several used boats with hulls that have been painted/Awlgrip'd I'm guessing this is due to the base color getting too "aged" to clean up successfully?

All my previous boats have been white glass... but I must admit a shined up blue hull is simply georgeous... but I'll stick with white if im setting myself up for an annual battle...

- Rich Nolan
Maintaining a colored hull can be as easy as opening your wallet. Then again, many prefer the d.i.y. route. These hulls require waxing every few months or yours will end up looking like mine did before wet sanding. Now it's beautiful. I still think paint is the way to go but short of that, wax on, wax off.
Search around the board. You'll find many discussions about colored hulls, before and after pictures.

Welcome to AOG,

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

There are extensive discussions on this board about "colored" hulls (sounds like a civil rights question from the 60's) that you can search for and read. My 03 28 TE was fairly well oxidized on the starboard side as the first owner's slip had the starboard facing south. I was reluctant to be too aggressive with compounding my new boat, and that was a mistake. Albin put a good quantity of gelcoat in the mold. A vigorous wetsanding will not go through the color like it might on your typical Bayliner. Each year I have gotten braver and more aggressive with compound and still have plenty of color left. Worst thing that can happen? Eventually you will burn through it and THEN it's time for Awlgrip.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack28 »

Algrip! no fuss, no muss JRG
"AHLUVOIL"
2001 28TE
Westbrook.CT
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Question --- If you have a white hull and you want to color it ,how does algrip work and apply , cost and up keep . also would you change the color from white --pros and cons
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack28 »

Algrip recomends you prime the hull with there 545 primer I have a green hull and sanded it before priming. I thought about just applying top coat with no primer as what better base could you have, but I primed like the manufacture recomends. As far as a white hull goes I would leave it white, there are more colored hulls that white as far as Albins go, I guess if its a 28 and white does not fade as fast. my 2 cents. JRG
"AHLUVOIL"
2001 28TE
Westbrook.CT
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I had a blue sailboat Awlgripped without the primer and it came our beautifully. Looked new year after year. If your hull is in good shape and you are keeping the same color you can skip the primer. The person who applied it said he "scratched" the hull to make it ready for painting. I also saw an older sailboat in a yacht yard that was recently Awlgripped white and it was stunning. Awlgrip looks shinier and smoother to me than new gelcoat.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

I have an '07 28TE with a blue hull. From "day 1" I made sure that every Fall ,I wash it and then apply a cleaner wax. McGuire's. Then each Spring, I rinse, wash, apply cleaner wax, then at least 1 coat of Collinite, liquid or paste, doesn't really matter as long as you put it on and off by hand. This will be season 4 in the water and it still looks like a new boat. Really not that much work if you keep up with it. That's the secret.
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

blue hulls...
really not that much work, as long as you work at it :roll:
tomtutton