• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New to AOG

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
rjjm
Swabby
Swabby

New to AOG

Post by rjjm »

Hello to all,
I currently own a 2520xl Parker and I am seriously considering an upgrade to a 28TE. I been doing a lot of research and found current owners to be the most useful source of infomation. I am from L.I., NY and do most of my boating on the south shore around the Great South Bay and Fire Island Inlet. I have been an admirer of the 28TE for some time now and with 2 young boys (2yrs. old) I think that I would have the best of both worlds with the TE. A family boat and a nice fishing boat.
Last edited by rjjm on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: New to AOG

Post by jcollins »

Hi rjjm,
You will find a ton of information here. If you have specific questions don't hesitate to post.
Tell us about yourself. Where do you boat?

Wellcome to AOG.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Hey there RJJM,
I came from a Steiger 25 pilothouse (very similar to a parker 25) and moved up to a 28 TE 3 years ago. I am very happy I did but there are always trade offs, I used to run my Steiger close to the beach, it ran a little faster, drew a little less water, ect..
The 28 has so many other features though and it is a great family boat. This site can help you learn many things about the boat (I would not have mine if it where not for it) but I suggest you take a ride in one to really see for yourself.
I am also from LI and keep it in the great south bay, if you have any questions just ask. When the weather gets warmer I can show you my boat.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
rjjm
Swabby
Swabby

Post by rjjm »

Thanks Matt,
That is one of my biggest concerns about the 28TE. I do a lot of boating in the bay and around the beaches so the deeper draft would be a bit of a concern to me. Where did you purchase your Boat? Was it new or used? I do see a few of 28TE around the tri-state area on the market. I have never been on one in the water yet, but everything that I read says that it handles great.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Welcome to the group.

Like so many others I have OB roots too & enjoyed going right to the beach, especially when the kids were small. Owning Albins for the last 23 years has not changed my beach habits much now, even with the 32. I am often seen, bow to the beach, aground, but making sure that I am on a rising tide & in an area of restricted speed so that I don't get pounded by wake.

They sit on blocks in the yard. Why not ground them in the water?
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Brandy1937
Mate
Mate

Post by Brandy1937 »

Brandy1937 Hello everyone.......Being a past Albin owner I have experienced many different situations with my 31TE. It was professionally laid out with the best equipment.
I experienced some of the worst weather in my boating career. The boat handled excellent and we were warm and dry.
I am now looking at a 36 fast trawler. I love the design. It's salty looking,not like one of those "go fast boats".
Anyone out there have any comments?????????? Good or bad?
Thanks
Brandy
afrayedknot
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Goose Pond Marina, Scottsboro, AL (TN River Mi 378)

Post by afrayedknot »

Brandy - Comments re 36ET: We own a 2002 model that we bought in 2006 - trucked it from St. Johns River near Jacksonville, FL to Tenessee River near Chattanooga. We have put about 650 hours on it running back and forth on the TN, the Hiawassee and the Little TN Rivers. Our times on the boat have been most enjoyable, just running at displacement speeds, 8-10mph at 1800-2000rpm. With twin Yanmar 315's it will plane and top out at 23mph. Needless to say with the price of fuel it is seldom that I run it that hard.

Seasonal oil/filter and fuel filter changes, one zinc and one coolant change is about all I have done. We are very pleased with the overall layout, usually sleeping in the mid-cabin and reserving the forward for guests. The only thing we wish that Albin would have included is a side-by-side frig/freezer. The freezer section is too small. We really enyoy all the outside areas on the boat, atop, the wide sides, the covered aft area and the back deck for ease of boarding from the dock. We, too, like the unique design and receive alot of compliments. It certainly stands out, especially among the sleek cruiser types.

Hope you find these comments helpful and wish you well in your search.
Bob on "A Frayed Knot" 36ET
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

One of the good/bad things about owning an Albin is having something different. I'd always get looks when I had the A27AC. People though the engine was in that hump in the back. These days with the 32 it is the same thing. The boat really does not look LIKE anything else.

Nobody has come up with anything quite like the 36 fast trawler. Mainship has a 40' sedan trawler which can be considered somewhat close.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “New Member Introductions”