• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rebedding Roof Hand Rails

chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Rebedding Roof Hand Rails

Post by chiefrcd »

Just a FYI, but when my boat was surveyed the only mositure I had anywhere was found by the surveyor just under one of the bolts that's used to bolt down the roof top hand rail. If you have not checked these, they are apparently quite notorious for allowing water to penetrate the balsa coring on the roof. I removed both hand rails allowed them to dry out ( only had one that was damp ) and rebedded them with 3M 4200. I also added a stainless steel washer on the outside and inside of the roof to beef up the seal and add some strength.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Chief,
Thanks for taking the time to post that information. It is invaluable for all of us.
This is what the board is all about.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Chief,

Are you sure the roof's core is balsa? The limited drilling I've done on our boat indicates that most of the deck coring appears to be marine plywood, not balsa.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

You know, I don't have the slightest clue, I was assuming it was balsa. I do know that it's wood of some kind and it gets pretty "punky" when it's wet.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Meyer

roof dampness

Post by Meyer »

I guess there's no way to know without removing the rails? I'm of the "if it's not broke don't fix it" philosophy . . . .
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

And you own a boat.....??? Man, there is always something to fix, get ready to fix, should have fixed, will fix soon......but let me add that once you get the core wet and it starts to deteriorate, then you're in for some REAL $$ repairs. They found mine with a moisture meter....I personally don't like to fix something that isn't broke either, but in this case better to spend 1 hour rebedding a handrail for $10.00 than having a major issue replacing portions of your roof core later.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Meyer

Own a boat?

Post by Meyer »

Oh come on . . . yes, I own a few boats at present, including an Albin 28, and it's only about the twentieth boat I've owned. I've taken fairly good care of them all. I still don't fix anything that ain't broke, and I've never broken down, or had serious damage, from neglect.

Best regards,
Judith
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re-bed Rooftop handrails

Post by Pitou »

As I have worked my way through older threads I found myself here.
I only joined the board in February. Anyway .........

I also had to rebed the rooftop handrails after drip, drip, drip into the wheelhouse. An old time boat builder shared with me years ago when through bolting anything exposed to the elements when a core is involved to overdrill and fill the hole with West Systems and micro balloons and let harden (a piece of duct tape on the bottom to prevent the flow until cured works well). Then drill for the through bolt and bed. The West Systems and micro ballons permenantly seal the edges from water infiltration to the core. When bedding the bolt only bed the top toward the elements and if and when the bedding fails no water will infiltrate the core and the drip will start. If you bed the nut you may never know water is sitting all around the bolt.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I just did a similar thing on the handles of one of the cockpit deck hatches. It had been kicked a few times while sticking up and the hole was worn pretty large. I used Marinetex to fill and seal in a stainless steel tube just large enough for the stem of the lifting handle to pass through. It would be easy enough to drill the others out and epoxy in the stainless tubing before any damage is done.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

An "old timer" once instructed me to never look 3 inches in any direction from whatever you're repairing on the boat.
Reason: You'll surely find something else that needs repair!
Owner of 28' TE
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Capt Ron you're right "Keep your head down".

Russell I agree the sleeves are even a better way. I did that when mounting the cradle for the liferaft on the hardtop.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Stainless tubes

Post by Saltdog »

Russell: Where does one find the stainless tubes necessary to rebed the hatch cover handles? Are they precut to length or do you have to cut them? Might'nt those work on the railing on the top as well?

TS
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Stainless tubes

Post by Saltdog »

Russell: Where does one find the stainless tubes necessary to rebed the hatch cover handles? Are they precut to length or do you have to cut them? Might'nt those work on the railing on the top as well?

TS
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

This is funny but the one I used was a sipper tube from a water bottle for a rat cage. It just happened to be the perfect diameter and I cut the length needed with a hax saw. That was the hardest part of the job. I was planning on checking at a hardware store for stainless or brass tubing when I saw the sipper tube in a drawer quite by accident. I am not sure if the factory sealed around these holes because the wood coring was missing for some distance. The rubber gasket under the handle was also gone and I made another by punching a hole in a piece of bicycle tire tubing, putting it on the shaft and then trimming it around the handle. Even with the sleeve sealing the core, the gasket is still useful to keep water from getting into the fish box that is actually used for storage.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”