• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Did the Albin 36's originally have window screens??

Boatmon

Did the Albin 36's originally have window screens??

Post by Boatmon »

Fellow owners can you please help?

We are in the process of completely redoing all of the aft-cabin and the four big salon windows in our 82 Albin 36. Can anyone tell me if they had window screens from the factory, and if so how did they fit in? Our window guy is trying to engineer an attractive, usable, and long term solution for the windows and screens. He is using a really good stainless steel window track, gray Solex glass and quality adhesive. He is just not totally sure yet how his is going to make the movable window panes work and look good, he is very experienced with boat window installation but this testing his engineering mind a little.

Any thoughts and pics would be greatly appreciated!
1 085.jpg
1 088.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
westrivertrawler

Re: Did the Albin 36's originally have window screens??

Post by westrivertrawler »

Our 36' 1987 Albin 36 did not have screens intragral to the windows. We're not the original owners, so I'm not sure what was standard. Ours had teak frames with screen material that were sized slightly smaller than the outside window frame and were screwed on from the outside. Sorry, I don't have pictures. I removed the screens; Awlgripped the outside wooden window frames and had mesh sun-shade/screens made to fit.
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

I made up snap on nylon screens that are doubled over the window frames. They are good screens and they provide cover for the wood window frame. Provides a degree of privacy, also.

A cover guy wanted $75 each to make them (13 x 75 = $975), I made them all for about $200. I like the way it looks, too.

I replaced the aft windows with a custom made plastic window made by Mark Plastics of Corona, Ca. They open and don't leak. Cost was pretty reasonable. There's a photo somewhere on this site, paneling replacement discussion, I think.

I would look at the Mark Plastics windows before I tried to engineer new ones. They even have screens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Despacio wrote:I would look at the Mark Plastics windows before I tried to engineer new ones. They even have screens.
Thanks for the input but I'm not really a fan of plastic in the marine enviorment for long term use. Our 36 was purchased with the idea that she would be our retirement home (I'm 40 now) longevity, durability and good looks are the primary focus in everything we do on her. We have completely removed all of the aft-cabin windows, the four big movables in the main salon, and the three bronze port-lights in the v-berth, we also hope to do both doors yet this winter. The rest of them do not / have not leaked, so we are planning to replace the few remaining next winter.

Our glass guy has been making custom windows for antique cars, boat, and rv's for 30+ years, and comes highly recommended. He called me friday to approve his design, and what he came up with far exceeds what we had even hoped for. That said, I will admit we haven't installed any just yet, but the products, design and proposed method all look really, really good to us. Grey Solex laminated saftey glass, stainless steel window tracks, sweeps and hardware, polished alum screen frames, and some wonder adhesive to insall the frames and trim. Admitidly not the cheapest way to go, but who ever said restoring a 30 year old classic was going to be cheap.

We will be sure to post pics as we go along
The Lass restoration 196 (138).jpg
The Lass restoration 196 (118).jpg
* all of the Formica in both heads will be replaced. All of the core plywood was in suprisingly good shape, and the gel was sanded around the openings after the removal of the butal.

Return to “36/37/40/43”