• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

new and looking for a 27'

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

new and looking for a 27'

Post by Brian »

I am looking for a 27 aft cabin.
There seems to be a lot of info on the 25's but not much on the 27'. Where were they built?
The 25' intrests me as well but the 27' offers a bit more speed and more stability (am I correct in this thinking?).
What are things to look for?
I hear there sometimes to be water/rot /delamination problems around the portlight areas.
Should I be looking for a 4CYL earlier version or a newer 6CYL one? Does it matter?
Any suggestions/advise would be appreciated.
I have not been on one and would like to ask anyone with a 27' in the Vancouver, BC area if I could check theirs out.
Thanks in advance.
Brian
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: new and looking for a 27'

Post by jcollins »

Hi Brian,
Welcome to AOG. There are a couple in our For Sale forum. We have quite a few members with 27s.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Welcome to the group.

Look in the Documents Library. Download & save the info on the 27. All the specs you could possibly want.

I had a 27 for 13 years. It was one of the rare Westerbeke 6cyl 100hp boats. The logic behind ordering the boat with a bigger engine was not so much to get a higher top speed but to have a higher cruise speed without beating the engine to death. It was nice. 1800RPM gave easy hull speed & was as quiet as can be.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian »

I have tried to check out the Documents Library but am not allowed to access it??
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Brian,

Welcome to the group and good luck finding your Albin. We just sold our A 27 (had it for 10 years) and it also had the Westerbeke 100 engine. We were able to cruise at 8.5 - 9.5 kts easily. we had 4 group 27 deep cycle batteries that allowed us to live at anchor for 6 days on 2 and start up again with no problem. That extra 2' with the A 27 offers an amazing amount of extra room. You also have opening ports and windows for fresh air. Our boat "Willet" will be placed on a new trailer being made for her right now and then heading for Juneau Alaska (a willet is a migrating shore bird) this will be her biggest migration/adventure - we've moved up to an A 34. Good luck again. Marcy K
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

Marcy, what year was your 27AC? Mine was an 86. I ordered a Westerbeke because a friend here in Bermuda had a 27AC built in 85 & specified the Westertbeke. Apparently Albin Marine objected to installing that engine syaing it would not fit. The friend had done his homework & had the engine specs. Told them to install it or forget the order.

He was right. The next thing you know Albin is offering the Westerbeke in the Sport & AC 27s.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian »

So you two recomend the 100hp Westerbeke? Would you consider a boat with the 4cyl. 60hp Lehman?
Marcy, do you recall what the rpm's were at your 8.5 - 9.5 knt speed?
Again, anyone out there in the Vancouver, BC area with one for me to check out?
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Hi,

Our A 27 was a 1985 with a 1986 refit of the Westerbeke 100 - the first owner traveled from New Jersey to Maine with her the first summer and did not like the Lehman after only one season. We found that we were able to cruise really comfortably and economically running between 8 and 9 kts (burned about 2.5 - 3 gal/hour). The engine takes up just about all of the space in the engine compartment - but we were able to do most of our own work and all maintenance on her. Liked the extra weight too - she felt solid! Parts were never a problem and the people at Hanson Marine in MA were always helpful with advice and shipped parts right away. We are now refitting our new to us A 34 - even installing a custom skeg to protect that hanging down prop! Good Luck in your search. Marcy
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

I see that my ex http://www.emoo.com/classoform.aspx?moo ... oc=1015228 is up for sale again. The price reflects the high import tax & high shipping costs which add to the bottom line of boat value here.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “New Member Introductions”