• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Southern Venture

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Southern Venture

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:....The friend I was meeting for dinner did not want to drive far, I was tired and needed a shower so I said OK.....
Let me see if I got this: You take your boat apart, ship it to FL, put it back together and within a day of it being in the water you run 40NM in virgin waters to meet him/them, and they don't want to drive far :shock:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Ha Ha! Rob, you gotta remember man, some of my friends are over 60! Laura's a great friend but she's down here by herself setting up an apartment for she and Bill. She was a little concerned about driving through Riviera Beach, I guess that's not such a great area if you break down at night. She made it and we had a great time. You gotta love your friends for who they are, not who you want them to be!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Yeah I've gone out on a scuba diving charter boat that picked us up at the park in Riviera Beach on the left side as your heading east over the bridge. My friends from Palm City/Stuart said "you're going where?!"...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Here are some shots I had from the park at Riviera Beach and Erika awaiting departure aboard the charter boat... I believe the 2nd picture is looking in the direction of the Sailfish (it's on the other side of that bridge)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Nice docks. Let me get THIS straight...you went on a dive trip on a boat named SS Minnow? Was it a 3 hour tour? Say hi to Erika.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:Nice docks. Let me get THIS straight...you went on a dive trip on a boat named SS Minnow? Was it a 3 hour tour? Say hi to Erika.
It was a" 1-hour DELAYED" tour. The Capt was an hour late cause she was hungover from a Superbowl party the night before. A great feeling to jump off the boat in the middle of the ocean in a 100ft of water to do a drift dive hoping the Capt doesn't fall asleep (or pass out) while she was left all alone up on the boat during the dive. It gave me a little something extra to think about while we were down there swimming around with the bull sharks........

If memory serves that was the game when Ms. Jackson's boob popped out :shock:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

The "Southern Venture" chapter 1, has been officially declared a success. Four Fish Marina and it's staff were great to work with and I have a great deal of confidence in their ability to handle Time after Time, and I love the dry storage option for the peace of mind and reasonable cost. Jensen Beach is a swell area, and I'd like to thank Rob & Bob Schepis for their help and guidance getting it all set up.

Things I'd change...I wish there was a shower somewhere on the Four Fish property. I realize that the nature of the dry storage concept means few stay-aboards, and although Time after Time has a transom shower and the "wand" in the head I'm still partial to a good old hot, standup shower once and awhile. The other is the necessity to have a car, but that's the nature of South Florida, and really, most of America today. The small downtowns with a grocery store, hardware store and coffee shop/diner are becoming further apart and harder to find. I hope we like this new world we are creating of Big Box Stores on the highway when it's all we have left. I don't think there will be much opportunity to go back.

Next trip south is December 14th-20th and I hope to do some fishing. If anyone knows a good guide in the area that might go out on my boat with me and show me a few spots, let me know. Thanks to "y' all" for your interest and encouragement. I'll keep you posted on the next trip.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Southern Venture Chapter 2, December to remember.
After a rather insane weekend with 60 people at our house Sat night for the annual Holiday Oyster Party, I left Monday at 11AM, PVD to PBI via Philly. Funny I don't mind flying on my own dime if I can bill enough hours in the air working to pay for the flight. Also makes 2 hour layovers actually profitable.

Got to Jensen Beach after the marina office was closed and had to search for TaT. Found her and moved my gear aboard. Went to the local tackle shop were I found a "mate" willing to take me out Tuesday AM which was looking like the best weather window of the week. Spent a fitful night on board, getting used to new spot, different noises etc. Up and out with mate Justin at 8 AM. Seas in 3-5 range, not scary but a lot of work to stay vertical. Went about 8 miles out, and ended up with 3 mahi, one kingfish (anyone remember Amos & Andy on this forum?) AND my first ever sailfish. Jumped 4 times, took a ton of line off an Avet setup with 80# braid. My legs were shaking after the release (see last attachment, a video). Beautiful fish, Justin said 40-50 lbs. Scraped my arm with his beak and gave me a hell of a rash. I think we are even.

Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Hey Ric, Thanks for "The Truman Show" Part 2 and you're the star!

Good job securing a mate for some local knowledge and getting a good head start. Nice sail too!
18 degrees here today ... brrrrrrrr. Stay warm.

Just for kicks .... here is that Abaco trip I had mentioned. Click the attatchment to enlarge.
Abaco by boat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Maybe next year on the Abaco trip, I've got each month pretty much scheduled up for this year...the big trip this year will be the keys, running down from here (2 days) 5 days in Islamorada, then 2 days back.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

When you emailed this pics to me yesterday, I thought hmmm maybe he photoshopped out a striper and added the sailfish. The video proves it :wink:

Awesome, awesome, job - you earned that fish!

How did the Albin handle in the less than ideal conditions? At least you were on the troll, not the drift. How was the inlet?

BTW, I hoped you tipped Justin more than you tipped the cabbie in Boston :shock:

Now you gotta rename TaT to "Just-In Time"
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Believe me that's a real fish! If I photoshopped it it would have looked a lot better! The boat handled fine, it was just very hard work to fight a fish that size and power in a beam sea, trying hard to not break it off or fall overboard! I'm in fairly good shape but I am almost 58, and I was bushed when it was over. It took about half the line off an AVET with 300 YD of 80# braid on it. Shaky knees the whole bit. I mean that fish REALLY did not want to have it's picture taken! Afterwards I felt sweaty and a little nausea and I though oh no! I ticked one off the bucket list and now I'M going to kick the same bucket! Puked over the side and started laughing, I was just sea sick! First time in 15 years! Would have made a great story though, the fish lived and the angler didn't! LOL

Don't worry about Justin, he made out just fine.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RicM wrote:Maybe next year on the Abaco trip, I've got each month pretty much scheduled up for this year...the big trip this year will be the keys, running down from here (2 days) 5 days in Islamorada, then 2 days back.
Maybe next year. :wink: The Keys sound superb.
RobS wrote:When you emailed this pics to me yesterday, I thought hmmm maybe he photoshopped out a striper and added the sailfish. The video proves it :wink:
Rob - we all know Ric is a man of integrity and honor .....;.)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Great post Ric. Congratulations. I know what you mean about the "shakey knees" at our age, I mean your age. :lol:
We are jealous of you southern guys enjoying that great weather. 20 degrees here tonight.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Don't be jealous today gentlemen, It's raining like Noah and blowing 20-30. I swear there is a weather god (or demon) that follows me around! Boat is rocking too much to post.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”