• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine access on Flush vs raised 28TE

DirtyOz
Deckhand
Deckhand

Engine access on Flush vs raised 28TE

Post by DirtyOz »

Can you access the sides of the engine through the 2 hatches on either side of the main hatch?
Maintenance is important to me. If so, does this apply to both Flush deck and raised hatch models?
Thanks

Oz
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Engine access on Flush vs raised 28TE

Post by jcollins »

Hi Oz,
Read the first post in the TE forum. There may be some information in there.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

On the engine box model the side hatches have boxes that lift out giving direct access to the sides of the engine. You can also disconnect the gas struts to open the engine box completely to get at the serpentine belt and other items at the front of the engine which is facing aft in this model.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

On the flush deck model, there is access to the starboard side via the two hatches beneath the helm chair. The port side of the engine is accessed via a hatch located in the quarter berth below deck. It is very tight quarters.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
DirtyOz
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by DirtyOz »

Are you able to reach all the pencil zincs using the hatches?
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

The pencil zincs can be reached with the engine box model, although one on the starboard side is really tough.
Lots of cussin and swearin.....and the right size box wrench.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
DirtyOz
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by DirtyOz »

I really like the flush deck unit........I guess there is always something with any model.
I haven't even seen a TE in person yet. So Ill get the big picture when I go on a boat hunt.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

DirtyOz wrote:Are you able to reach all the pencil zincs using the hatches?
Cape Codder wrote:The pencil zincs can be reached with the engine box model, although one on the starboard side is really tough.
Lots of cussin and swearin.....and the right size box wrench.
With the engine box and Cummins 370 .... all anodes/zincs are a cake walk. Sooooooooo many variables, engine type, size and make along with flush deck or engine box all result in each individual hull having its own quirks. My oil & filter changes are a breeze as well. The only thing that gives me a hard time, though I get it done, is the water pump impeller.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DirtyOz
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by DirtyOz »

My reservations about the engine box decks may easily be unfounded concerns.
Being how I live in S.E. Alaska,I view deck space as premium space. My boats have always been utility oriented. Shrimp pots, crab pots, trolling for salmon, bottom fishing for halibut and snapper, diving, hunting, even the occasional four wheeler to access remote and abandoned logging roads.
I really, really USE my boats, but at the same time I take great care to prevent undue wear and tear. Once I set foot on one, I will know if it will work for me or not.
I have been telling my self aluminum will be my next hull material for purposes listed above. But there is just something about a glass hull that aluminum cannot match easily.
I kind of have my heart set on the 315 Yanmar. I don't know much about the Cummins 370. My Dad has a 250 Cummins in his 42ft Canadian built glass trawler. It seems to be a great engine, although a little slow for me at this point in life. 8.5kt cruise 14kt max.

I appreciate all the respones guys, keep em coming.

Oz

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”