• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

High Water Temperature Albin Diesel21

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Henrikk

High Water Temperature Albin Diesel21

Post by Henrikk »

Hello everyone.

Currently I'm troubleshooting on my Albin Diesel21 engine. The problem is the water temperature of the engine being too high.

When operating at low RPM (Above Idle however noticeable low) The temperate is fine and able to fluctuate between 60 and 85degrees, which should be fine.

However when operating at high RPM (not even MAX RPM) the temperature rises to 110 and stabilizes there. The manual says 80-85degrees Celcius, so the temperature is too high.

I've replaced the Thermostat with a new functioning thermostat (Opening at 60degrees). I've tested it with success. However the problem still occur. I can see cooling water being sprayed/exhausted from the rear end of the boat as usual and there are no water leaks on the engine cooling system.

The temperature gage is acting odd aswell. When the engine is operating at high RPM and water temperature around,110degrees, then I decrease the RPM to Idle and the temperature decrease VERY rapidly. Going from 110 to 60 in less than 15seconds. I've checked the wiring on the temperature gage and currently im suspecting it to be faulty.

Now I ask all of you dedicated Albin users to help me if you can. I really want to get my boat running for the summer ahead.
For reference the boat is an Albin25 with an AD21 engine.

Best Regards and Thanks in Advance
Henrik
Denmark
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: High Water Temperature Albin Diesel21

Post by jcollins »

Henrikk,
Welcome to AOG. You joined on a beautiful Sunday. The board is slow this weekend. I'm guessing everyone is out enjoying their boats. Hopefully you will get more replies Monday, Tuesday.
My thought is the impeller? Have you replaced that?
Have you checked the heat exchanger?
Risers?
I am not a mechanic. Just passing on information I have read here.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

I second the impellar idea.... also, if you can get your hands on one of those cool infared thermoters you could see check the cooling system and see if or where the temp jumps. If your guage is acting 'funny', it could be that.... but you can't risk it. Have you noticed an unusual amount of 'white smoke' or steam coming out of the exhaust when the temp starts to rise? Depending on the age of the engine and it's cooling system, it might be time to have the heat exchanger cleared out of any sediments that may have collected.... then have it pressure tested by a radiator shop.
I'm not a mechanic either but did some similar type of trouble shooting recently on my Yanmar with my mechanic.

Good luck and welcome!!!

Anthony
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

Assuming the gauge and thermostat are ok I would probably check in the following order:

Make sure you inlet raw water valve is fully open
Clean sea strainer
Clean heat exchangers--I am not familiar with Yanmar but I would get gasket kits and clean them anyway.
Change the impeller in your raw water pump--if it is a sherwood it may need rebuild or replacement.

If you don't want to get into heat exchanger cleaning at least do some back flushing of your raw water system.

Note: 80 degrees C is 201.6 degrees F -- which I believe should be the upper end of running the engine but don't know your engine.

Hope this helps.
Terry
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle

Return to “Albin Maintenance”