• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rudder Damage

loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Rudder Damage

Post by loubennett »

Two weeks ago I hit a submerged tree branch in my Albin 28 TE. The result was damage to the prop and damage to the rudder. Repairing the prop was no problem, but the rudder is bent just above the lower post. The real problem is that there is a fracture at the bend. The shop that repaired the prop says they can straighten it but will make no promises on the strength of the rudder. They say it won't take a weld due to corrosion in the bronze and recommend a new rudder. So far I have been unable to locate a source for a replacement rudder.

Does anyone have a source for a replacement rudder for a 2002 Albin 28 TE (engine box model)?

Lou Bennett
Albin 28 TE - Quest
Annapolis
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Rudder Damage

Post by Pitou »

Welcome to the AOG Lou ... Check out the following link to the Information Forum and Links of Interest. It will take you to a post by Bob Pelletier owner of H&H Prop Shop in Salem, MA. They provided Albin with their shafts, props and other running gear the post by Bob mentions his outfit as the source for these items including rudders, bearings, shaft seals. He has a pretty serious operation and I'm sure he can help. H&H 1-800-3250-0117. Best of luck

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1412
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Running gear damage is so unusual with these boats I'm not sure where to begin. My guess is that a new rudder will have to be fabricated? With all those sailboat guys in Annapolis you should be able to find someone. Sassafras Harbor marina (Joe Smth) comes to mind as one source. I would also look through the group here for some yards in New England. Standish comes to mind. Others will hopefully jump in here with some suggestions.

I am curious about the corrosion you mention. Have you been changing zincs when needed?

Welcome aboard

<edit> Kevin - Thanks for checking the links section. I forgot about that one.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

I did find the info on H&H, went to their website and sent a request for information. I also sent an email to Sassafras Harbor Marina and sent a request to a dealer in New England. I think it was Standish. Millers Island Propeller (Baltimore) is straightening the damaged rudder and I have another machine shop who may be able to strengthen it by brazing. Right now I'm exploring all avenues. I'm anxious to get back in the water.

I just bought the boat in February, so I don't know about the history of the zincs. The boat was very well maintained, so I would be surprised if something as simple as zincs had been neglected.

Thanks for your suggestions. Any others are welcome. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I hope you never need the information, but if you do it will save some time.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Hey Lou, Have you thought about making it to the rendezvous at Harington Harbor? Hopefully you will have that rudder repaired by then, and back in the water. Good luck and hope to see you there!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Much of the running gear was supplied by Buck Algonquin, here's the link, give them a call & tell 'em what you have. After getting the price :shock: I would think the best bet would be to have it straightened and brazed and then just keep an eye on it.

http://www.buckalgonquin.com/pages/Prod ... _page.html
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Just wanted to let everyone know how things are going. I found a local machine shop that repaired the fracture in the rudder by grinding a V on both sides of the fracture and brazing to fill in the V. The rudder seems to be strong enough to last for a good while and I re-installed it on the boat last evening. The boat will go in the water on Friday and I'll have a chance to try it out. I don't anticipate any problems and should be back in operation.

Also, thanks to your help, I have located a source for a new rudder through H&H Propeller. I will be sending them a picture and dimensions shortly so they can make sure they quote the right one. I will most likely purchase a new rudder and put it on the next time the boat is out of the water. With the repair, however, it is not a rush and I at least won't have to pay for rush delivery. With a little luck I should be fine for the season.

If anyone in the Annapolis area is in need of a machine shop, let me know and I will send you the contact information for the one that repaired the rudder. They were quite reasonable and did a repair that another shop said couldn't be done.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Lou,
If anyone in the Annapolis area is in need of a machine shop, let me know and I will send you the contact information for the one that repaired the rudder. They were quite reasonable and did a repair that another shop said couldn't be done.
Post that information in the links section when you have time. It will help other AOG members.
I forgot about Millers Island. They have been working on my props for years.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”