• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow thruster maintenance

Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Bow thruster maintenance

Post by Saltdog »

In the Vetus documentation, it says check the brushes with some regularity. It also tells what the minimun length of the brushes should be before they need to be replaced. The problem it it does not show any diagrams on how to access the brushes to inspect them.

I called the Vetus distributor to see if they had any diagrams but they did not. They said all I need to do is check to see if there is grey dust (corrosion) and to make sure the brushes are still above minimum length. I am not sure even where the brushes are.

Has anyone done this maintenance on the Vetus, and could you help me by explaining how it should be done?

Thank you.
><{{{*>
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Bow thruster maintenance

Post by Russell »

If your thruster looks like this you pry out the black rubber inserts to access the brushes. I pulled out the back ones and they were fine so I did not have to take the bolts off of the front pair. The back pair is actually towards the bow. Newer models are supposed to have a band that covers the brushes. With the little use that the thrusters get the brushes will last a very long time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Here's a link from a thread last year - Scroll down to my post with photos.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1342&hilit=vetus+and+brushes
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

When I got the parting dockside goodbye from the dealer, I was shown where the access to the Vetus thruster was. Of course, I read the manual soon afterward and made a note about EP 90 outboard gear oil that lubes the internal workings. Just this week, I peeled back the cushions of the V-berth on my 28TE to see where the level of the oil stood. I could not find any hint of a place at which I could determine whether it was full or whatever.
The Vetus manual mentions gear oil and the 0.25l capacity of the unit, but there is no mention of how to check the level or how often it should be checked. Any clues?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

fairtide wrote: I could not find any hint of a place at which I could determine whether it was full or whatever.
The Vetus manual mentions gear oil and the 0.25l capacity of the unit, but there is no mention of how to check the level or how often it should be checked. Any clues?
Guess your model thruster is not equipped with a reservoir like this. Checking the level should be in the owners manual? Vetus in Baltimore is 410-712-0740 if you need to call for tech support. Just be sure to have the model number of your unit as many different models were put in by Albin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

The photo posted by Russell in the earlier message does not show a separate reservoir and hose shown on the Vetus that you have aboard your boat. In models that have no obvious gear oil reservoir, it may be that there is no need to check fluid level. I will try to get a response from Vetus or a dealer of their products. In the meantime, some of the readers may want to reacquaint themselves with the equipment aboard their boats. Some may have forgotten that they may need to do that.
Thanks for your reply and helpful photo.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

If you have the older 23kgf model that I have there is no reservoir. The Vetus manual is very confusing and it took me a while to figure it out. The previous owner of my boat made a note in the manual that there was no reservoir and I found an unopened tube of 90 weight gear on the boat. It is supposed to be lubricated for life.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”