• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

More New Owner Questions, sorry

jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

More New Owner Questions, sorry

Post by jumpjet231 »

After changing my zincs today and poking around the bowels of the boat, I have a few more questions none of my manuals address.
-On the port side step there is a water fill tube, vent, and a female hose fitting labeled pressure regulator. What does this female hose fitting fill?
-I have a manual toilet that I can't seem to draw water into. The sea cock is open. I undid the hose and filled with water to try to prime it but to no avail. Any ideas? It will pump out, just not draw water. I assume the Vacuum Generator switch on the DC panel is a dead switch.
-I found 6 zincs (one near the fuel oil cooler that wasn't in my manual) and was wondering how to change the zinc on the aft end of the fresh water cooler. It is almost right against the marine gear and I don't think I could get it out without breaking off or taking the marine gear off.
Thanks all.

'04 28TE 6lpa-stp
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: More New Owner Questions, sorry

Post by RicM »

Well, there are never any guarantee's that any two Albin's are exactly alike. Someday they will probably say is is part of the "charm" of the brand, BUT.... on my 2003 28 TE the fill cap marked water on the port step is to fill the fresh water tank, which is about 40 gallons and located under the quarter berth. By removing the cushion and lifting the wooden hatch you can see the tank and also see the approximate state of fill. The hose fitting is a seperate fresh water input for dockside use with a pressure regulator that feeds the fresh water system except for the tank, ie, the tank can be empty or full, no matter, and if connected to "shore" water via the hose connection the fresh water throughout the boat, incuding the hot water is pressurized by the water coming in through that hose. If you are not familiar with a system like this, never leave your baby hooked up to the shore water and walk away. Even a small leak in a fresh water line can eventually overcome your bilge pumps and batteries, resulting in ....well let's not think about that in spring time. It's really only for convenience when say, spending a weekend aboard.

I cannot help you with the manual head question. I have a Vacu Flush toilet, which WHEN it works, works extraordinarily well. When it does not work, usually the very beginning and end of the season, it is a PITA. Oh and when it does work, it is so nice and odor free that people use it like a land head, which is every 20 minutes, so it is usually filled up (7Gallons) by 2 in the afternoon, about the time the more proper females deign to start drinking beer.

Yes there is that one nasty zinc, but ask around, and let others chime in. I believe it's redundant, and there is a second one in that same area that you just change more often. The Yanmar 6LP engine was/is manufactured to be installed in a lot of different boats with a lot of different surrounding gear. Everything there doesn't make sense in every configuration (you have noticed that there are 2 dipsticks, right?).

Oh, and don't be sorry. Many people expect late model boats to be like late model cars. They assume they were all built the same on an assembly line. Not so, and if there has been 1 or 2 owners before you, there is no guarantee at all that electrical, plumbing, or electronics will be set up according to the "rules". That's part of the, ah, charm.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jumpjet231 »

Thanks for the reply. Will the normal water fill tank also fill the hot water tank or is it only thru the dockside fitting?
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

The hot water tank is downstream in the system and is supplied from either source. The water in the tank is heated by either of 2 sources, a coolant loop from the engine that runs whenever the engine runs, or an electric element that runs off the AC panel. Be sure there is water in the tank before turning on the AC switch or you will toast the electric heater element.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

That problem zinc you mention should come out. The best means to access it is to remove the port side deck box and lay on your back on the hull with you legs sticking out on the deck. With an open ended wrech you can little by litle back that zinc out. Once lossened the old zinc should have enough play to be angled over and slid out passed the gear housing. So you only have to (hopefully) get in & out of this position once, have your new zinc (with a dab of marine grease on the threads) handy. The new zinc will be longer and therefore could be a problem getting it into position. If so you can loosen the heat exchanger bands and rotate it enough to gain some clearance. Most importantly, if you are alone, keep your cell phone within reach as it's easy to get yourself stuck in there!

Here's a pic of that zinc on my engine, do you have similar clearance?

As far as the head. Sounds like a rebuild of the valve assembly is in order.

Your other concerns were answered "on-the-money" by Ric.

The dockside water connection (fitting with the regulator) is great if you are sleeping aboard the boat and use the faucet when others are sleepy because it is silent as opposed to using the fresh water tank and having the motor come on. I was shutting mine off before going to bed but that defeated the purpose of having it. If something did let go you should be connected to shore power whenever on dockside water so the 3 bildge pumps should easily stay ahead of the incoming water and the battery charges will keep it all running.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

That damn zinc is sure a tough one. I had the same problem with my manuel toilet until I got used to it. Make sure the seacock is open and a little silicon greaseon the hand pump helps also. A few spit backs when quickly filling bowl teach you to use slow steady strokes, lol. ptuuuuuuu
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Are you certain that you have the correct thru hull open for the head intake? If the hand pump can empty the bowl it seems to be working and should be able to pump in the raw water. In my boat the the overboard discharge thru hull is near the intake and maybe you opened the wrong one. A easy way to keep the rubber in the hand pump lubricated is to squirt a little baby oil (mineral oil) into the head and pump it through. Also when you leave the boat use the shower hose to fill the bowl with fresh water and pump it through so salt water is not in the pump leaving salt crystals. I usually add the baby oil to the fresh water.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”