• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cabin wall thickness - installing SS ports

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cabin wall thickness - installing SS ports

Post by Froggy »

I'm installing new stainless steel ports. I need to measure cabin wall thickness to do so but as the boat is still under shrink wrap am wondering whether anyone has installed new ports and if they know cabin wall thickness. Boat is a 1993 28 TE.

Thanks

Carl
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Re: Cabin wall thickness - installing SS ports

Post by furball »

Froggy,
Sorry but I can't answer your question but I have one for you. I suspect a leak in one of my port side port holes and I want to remove it and reseal it but I don't know it they have a gasket that will need to be replaced. Can you tell me if there is? Don't want to find out after I have it out.
Thanks and good luck
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Sounds to me that while the boat is under shrink wrap, now is the time to remove the portals. You should be able to sneak out the forward hatch to gain access. Of course this only works if you had a zipper installed in the shrink wrap.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Carl wrote:Sounds to me that while the boat is under shrink wrap, now is the time to remove the portals.
I 2nd that, now is the time. If you don't have an access just cut your way in at the cockpit/transom and leave her wrapped.

When I was in the market for my 28TE I thought that my first change would be to change the ports to SS if she were not already equipped. After I priced them I quickly changed my mind.

Did you price them yet? I think it was over $2,000 to do them all....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Thanks all. Installing them while she is still shrinkwrapped is a great idea. I found them up at the Maine Boat Builders show for about $1100. Still debating whether to do it but I think it would be a great improvement to the boat.
jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jumpjet231 »

Mine are leaking on my '04 28te as well. I was going to pull it but wondered if there was a gasket that I needed to track down first.
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

I'm not sure where you'd find the gasket. I pulled the outer ring off one of mine and the gasket looks specific to the port.

I'm just going to do the six along the cabin trunk in stainless. Should probably also do the other two that are by the quarter berth but they're not so visible.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Maybe when you remove the whole port you will see a manufacturers name. My 28 came with the stainless ports option, but the ones in the quarter berth are plastic. Hardly worth the expense in the protected area of the cabin IMO. Take some pics during your install!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”