• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Grounding out a 35TE

skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Grounding out a 35TE

Post by skye peak »

I'd like to ground out my 35TE single engine alongside my dock for bottom washing and changing zincs.

Does anyone know, if the skeg can bear weight or does it need to be blocked off the bottom with the
hull supporting all of the boat's weight?
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Grounding out a 35TE

Post by RicM »

Sounds a little sketchy to me... my boatyard will "short haul" my 28TE and powerwash the bottom for about $300, then leave it on the lift (not blocked) for a couple of hours while I do zincs, check running gear etc.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

OUCH, that seems a bit risky to me. I am not looking forward to the "Haul" bill to get underneath, pressure wash & cahnge the zincs. I was wondering if the short haul charge would allow me enough time to dry & paint the hull along with a good waxing? Wishful thing I bet, but it has to be done.
I do wonder how many out there paint their bottoms every other year & don scuba to get under, rezinc & check bottoms?
Last edited by zinbaad on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I do all that under the waterline stuff before splashing in the spring, another benefit to hauling out for the winter. Unless you have a barrier coating on your hull, most experts suggest a couple of months out of the water drys out the gelcoat and makes it less likely to develop bubbles over time. Plastic is porous, just not very porous. If you need to swap zincs and get the bottom sides cleaned a diver is the least expensive way to go. They are about $100 around here for a 1 hour dive.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

I have a 35 and alternate years in keeping her in the water and out the next. I have a barrier coat paint. 2-3X per summer I grab a suction cup, a mask and a stiff brush to keep the hull clean. Usually at a beach in 4 feet of water, too much boat traffic at my marina. I bottom paint every other year but change zincs 2X per year. Short haul is the way to go because you can check the running gear too.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”