• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Honda eu2000i generator

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Honda eu2000i generator

Post by jcollins »

Finally bought one. Tested this weekend. Has enough power for AC, battery charger, coffee pot, etc. In the econo-mode runs pretty quiet. We won't use it all the time but it's nice to know I won't kill the batteries being on the hook all day or night. Last weekend Sharon started a pot of coffee and the low-battery alarm went off on the inverter.
Now I have the generator (1600 constant, 2k max), Xantrex inverter (2k) and I'll be bugging you guys later for updated battery suggestions.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

John,
Where do you carry it and where do you sit it to run? As a ex-fire person, I'm always concerned about gasoline fumes and CO fumes. Can't tell you the number of times I responded to sick and DOA's from CO in homes and campers in my 40 years.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

How does it attach to the Albin when in use esp for the battery charger ..Thanks
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

When not in use, right now, it's sitting behind the captain's helm seat. I'll have some type of strap to hold in place while the boat is under way.

During the day, it will sit on the bow, near the anchor locker. If we use at night, on the swim platform.

Butch - I have a 110 adaptor that connects to the shore power cable.
John
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Worked great! Good thing to, I went on a unplanned local trip with the wife to a South Beach Marina to spend the night in San Francisco. There was a Giants game on so the place was packed. Was lucky enough to find a a place on the guest dock but no shore power. It came in handy to have that as a backup. We used it as needed. I want to test it out more fully though when the batteries are really down. I have a total of 6 batteries on board. 4 of them are 6 volt the other two are 12 volt. I would really like to see if it can handle that much load. I plan to do a overnight trip up to Drakes Bay and spend the night on the Hook there. It's close to where I fish for Salmon. I can spend two days on the fishing grounds and only use half the fuel!

I ran it on the swim platform. Initially had it on the back deck but the wife could smell the exhaust almost instantly in the cabin. I was in real calm water area with no traffic. Not sure I would put it there when out in more open conditions though. The two other spots I'm thinking about is on top of the wheel house or up on the bow.

I also have a 110 Volt adapter to connect it to the shore power cable.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Paul,
You have six batteries on a 28? I thought I was cautious with 3! <smile>
I'm assuming you use the inverter alot.
When putting on the swim platform, I secure with a couple of straps. A friend of mine had one and it shifted overnight, pointing the exhaust into his transom. Not a pretty sight on the gelcoat. And, I guess it COULD have started a fire?
But, I'm like you. I only anchor in calm water. The bow is nice during the day. You can barely hear it unless your in the cabin. But, we spend most of our time in the cockpit during the day.
If you can, take a picture of your battery setup. I'd like to see it.

Thanks!
John
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Me too.....where in the world did you put 6 batteries?

and yes...you bet it could cause a fire.....just lucky that it didn't. Keep in mind that gasoline fumes and engine exhaust fumes are heaver than air and if you fill up your cockpit...they will effectively spill over into the cabin. Pure CO is only slightly lighter than air but when mixed with other exhaust byproducts travel with them....so cockpit would be a no no....cabin top would be questionable.....and hopefully everyone with any gasoline apparatus onboard has a working smoke detector and CO detector. I'd love to have one, just have to get past the danger issues of using gasoline on a boat and the CO being produced. One of the reasons I really love having a diesel is the safety factor of using a combustable vs a flammable liquid onboard.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

The boat was set up with this system when I bought it. The boat came from Petersburg Alaska. It was set up for the first buyer in Washington. I forget the name of the Albin dealer there. I will take a picture of it but here is where they are.

1) Buy the diesel engine port side (6 cell, 12 volt)
2) Under the helm station (8 cell, 12 volt)
3, 4, 5, 6) in the wheel house floor access between the helm station and the quarter berth (3 cell, 6 volt batteries) , the inverter is there also. They sit on a custom platform. I also have a 60 gallon reserve tank in this area which the platform sits on top of. I imagine they were doing some long range cruising through the passages up there.

Paul
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Chief,
I'm with you on the dangers of gas. All of my previous boats were gas engines. I always had (have) a CO detector on board. I have been always amazed at the boaters that don't turn on the blower before starting/after fueling. I always walk the other way when these guys are at the fuel dock. Every year we have at least one explosion due to gas fumes.
When I took my first look at afterglow my first question before starting was "where's the blower switch?". The previous owner just smiled and said "diesel...no blower".
I truly think these generators are safe to use and common sense prevails.

Paul - Just curious. Is that 60 gal. reserve tank fuel or fresh water? I've been thinking about more fresh water but wasn't sure where to put the extra tank.
John
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

John,

The 60 gallon tank is for fuel. On your boat is that space a fish box?

Paul
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Paul,
No. My batteries (1-12, 2-6) are on the starboard side of that space. The water heater is in the forward corner. My inverter is on the bulkhead forward. I'm thinking of fabricating something like a rack, that will sit across that space to hold the generator when under way. Yet, still allow bildge water to flow underneath. I haven't noticed much water there but I haven't been in any real storms yet.
I saw pictures somewhere (maybe here?) where someone stores an extra anchor there with a similar rack.
John
TonyAmalfitano

eu2000i

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

JCollins,
I was re-reading your post on having bought a Honda eu2000i. If you have the generator what do you need the inverter for? I'm eyeballin' a generator for myself, but the inverter stumped me. Thanks.
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: eu2000i

Post by jcollins »

TonyAmalfitano wrote:JCollins,
I was re-reading your post on having bought a Honda eu2000i. If you have the generator what do you need the inverter for? I'm eyeballin' a generator for myself, but the inverter stumped me. Thanks.
Good question. The inverter works fine for the TV and small AC loads. I wouldn't want to use it for the coffee pot and bigger loads. Plus I like the idea that if I get up in the morning and the batteries are dead, I can start up the generator and put a charge on them. Additionally if we were on the hook, and away from other boaters, we could run the AC. (carry-on)
The Honda is as advertised. Quiet, lightweight, and dependable.

John
John
TonyAmalfitano

eu2000i x 2

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

JCollins,
OK, I guess what I should have asked is, is the inverter a must have item, or can I get away with the generator alone?
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: eu2000i x 2

Post by jcollins »

TonyAmalfitano wrote:JCollins,
OK, I guess what I should have asked is, is the inverter a must have item, or can I get away with the generator alone?
Must have? No, not at all.
John

Return to “General Discussion”