• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transom Zinc Plate?

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Transom Zinc Plate?

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hi All,

Do any of you have a large transom zinc plate on your 28TE?

For the past two seasons we have pretty much depleted our rudder, tabs, and shaft zinc. I'm thinking about installing a large zinc on the transom, has anyone done this? Any thoughts?

Cheers.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Transom Zinc Plate?

Post by jcollins »

Hi EA,
It sounds like you have some stray current around your boat. Perhaps you should consider one of those islolaters that Rick was talking about. (sorry if I'm not using the right name)

Rick - You know what I mean?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Yeah, I thought about that, that's why I was curious about the galvanic isolator. Two seasons ago I suspected that it might be related to shore power. To test, I ran shore power this year approx. 50% less than last year. My zincs seem to take a larger hit this year. I do have 5 other boats within 20-30 feet, so I'm starting to suspect that maybe cumulatively I may be seeing some affects.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

My 28 TE came with a transom zinc already in place. It's fairly large about 3" x 6" mounted on two through bolts that are permanently mounted. All the green ground wires in the boat are daisy chained together and eventually run to the back of the boat. Even the bow thruster motor and railings run back to the plate. I get two years out of the plate before replacement and the disk zincs on the rudder and trim tabs have plenty at the end of the year. It works on my boat and in my marina so I am happy with that.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I wonder if the 31 has a transom zinc on it? anyone know?
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Thanks for the replies. At this point I'm not sure if I should go with the zinc plate, the isolator, or both. I guess I still have 2 months to figure it out :(
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Go with the galvonic isolater. My first season with the boat I had to replace them mid summer.....they were gone. I installed the isolater over the winter and this last season they were still servicable when I pulled the boat in December. I figure the isolater will pay for itself in 2 seasons.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I also have a large transom zinc, It was used when I got the boat 2 seasons ago and its still big enough for me going into the 3rd season. Just tighten up the bolts to make sure it still has a good electrical connection.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Matt,

Do you have a galvanic isolator on your boat as well? How are the rest of your zincs after the season?
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Elizabeth Ann wrote:Matt,

Do you have a galvanic isolator on your boat as well? How are the rest of your zincs after the season?
I do not have a galvanic isolator but it is on the plan of things to add (unfortunately there are several things in front of it ). I have just finished season 2 with the boat and so far both end of years have shown a little better than half of the zincs still remains (all of them). I actually do not see much happening to the transom zinc and yes I have checked it to make sure its wired in properly. I bet I could get away with using some zincs for a second season but its just not worth it. I also do leave the boat plugged in all season and have my 12v refrigerator running.
The reason I should get an isolator installed though is that all it takes is one person next to me with a problem and or a problem with the shore power and I could go through zincs quickly. You know the story "if only I would have put that isolator in" :(

I do not think its a hard task, just have to find a place to mount it, break into wires between AC panel and shore power outlet and wire up (that is if you buy the one that does not have indicators).

If I ever do it I will take pictures and post...

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

<<<< listening
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
fisham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fisham »

We had lots of Zinc wear on our TE, and then we installed a transom Zinc and have been fine ever since. It is an easy to mount, inexpensive and protective addition.
On another note, where can one find a shaft zinc that will fit the one inch space between the boat hull and the prop, I have looked everywhere on the internet...maybe I am missing something???
tiramisu te28
belfast, maine
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

My previous boatzincs dot com order lists it as;
C-7 Collar Zinc Anode 1-1/2"
I have also heard them called dounuts.
Most of my local marine supply sources have them.
Good luck,
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”