• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ding

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ding

Post by RicM »

This past July I heard and felt a clunk while traveling at about 18KT on a clear calm day. We turned and saw what appeared to be a wooden shipping crate in the wake. No water in the bilge, and no vibration so we continued on our way. The boat got hauled this week and look what I found:

Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ding

Post by Denis »

That is quite a ding, I hope you know how to do fiberglass repair. :D
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Ouch. That hurts. I have one almost in the same spot. Came too close to some rocks last year.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

My buddy Dave is a fiberglass expert, and says that epoxy is the best solution, but not until spring. As the boat has been wet for 4 months there is probably some water that has soaked into the mat around the area, and letting it dry out for the winter will be a good thing. Does anyone know what is beneath the matting? In the picture it looks like a metal form that has been covered with fiberglass.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Yeah, wouldn't use epoxy. I would use fiberglass. I can't think of any reason for using a material other than the original other than wanting to avoid the work or expense. Ultimately, I don't imagine that it matters much, as it apears to just be metal balast underneath, but just to be safe, I would patch it with glass.

Your friend is right, letting it dry out over the winter is a good idea.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Gotta love that protected running gear or you'd a heard a lot more than that ding.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Oh yeah! I was out fishing on a charter 2 seasons ago and the captain told us about a hit he took. 30 Mi off shore in a straight diesel powered center consol they hit a semisubmerged object, either a log or a turtle, they don't know. They were violently thrown forward as they were doing 25-30 kts. The prop & shaft were ripped out the back of the boat. When they all got upright they checked the bilge and found water rushing in. A guy jumped overboard with a sweatshirt and stuffed it in the hole. I don't remember now if it was Sea Tow or CG that brought them back. The boat was a total. No skeg, just an open prop inboard. It was the first thing I thought of when I looked back and saw the wooden shape in the wake. What do you suppose would have happened with one of those forward facing drives? I'm thinking a large section of hull gone!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:What do you suppose would have happened with one of those forward facing drives? I'm thinking a large section of hull gone!
Yeah, as the prop was be the first point of contact with the submerged object you would have to imagine that the submerged object would get that much more violently thrown into the hole. It would most likely be catostrophic. I am not familiar with forward facing drives, is there any skeg-like protection forward of the prop?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Rob:

See:
http://www.marlinmag.com/engines/engine ... 37573.html

I understand that the drives are meant to snap off on a collision without breaching the hull. However, a loose object like the crate I hit would be smashed into the hull if it engaged the forward facing props, possibly slamming holes in the surrounding hull. It would be a nightmare in areas with a lot of lobster or crab pots. That said, they are supposed to be very efficient, as the props are biting into relatively undisturbed water forward of the drives.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Thanks for the link Ric.

I think we can safely disagree with this quote from the article:

"And in a much more likely collision with a piece of floating debris, the IPS drive will likely only get bent — once again, always a possibility with straight inboards as well."
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Yeah, the skeg was one of my major attractions to the Albin design. I seem to somehow run over at least 1 lobster pot a year, and so far I have only gotten tied up once with the Albin, and then I just jogged it in reverse a couple of times and backed the rope out. I didn't even get wet.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I have run a ground once while on plane so the skeg has saved me too! It also allows me to gingerly idle into lower water anchorages and carefully bounce along the bottom. A landing gear type wheel mounted under the skeg would come in handy.... :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

RobS wrote:I have run a ground once while on plane so the skeg has saved me too! It also allows me to gingerly idle into lower water anchorages and carefully bounce along the bottom. A landing gear type wheel mounted under the skeg would come in handy.... :D
Training wheels for Toy-rific ? Rob by now you should know your way around :lol:

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Hey Ric -

No problem! I had a similar bite taken out of Merry Kate's skeg early in her career. I used West system epoxy with high-density filler and it has been rock-solid for 10+ yrs (actually, much stronger than the original layup). Once sanded-down & covered with bottom paint, it'll be invisible. If I recall correctly, the skeg is all-glass, with the hollow filled with some sort of glass/resin filler, to make the whole thing solid - you could break off the whole skeg and not sink (if you lived through it).

In the spring, grind out the damage to in-tact layup, get a small epoxy system repair kit and follow the instructions - following the directions carefully makes it almost impossible to mess up. (I learned through trial and mostly error that the secret with epoxy is not to try and get it perfect - mix it carefully, glop in on, and sand down to match the contours after it's set.) 1-hour job max!!

I can't believe what an awesome design this skeg keel is - I would have ruined so many props & shafts without it I never could have afforded to keep a boat. I'll never own another boat without fully protected running gear.

Have fun contemplating this enjoyable & easy repair through the brutal Rhode Island winter!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Ed
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Ed:

Ah yes, I guess it is a scar that I should view as a badge of honor. Happy T-day to you, Tam, and the kids.

Ric
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”