• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

fuel tank capacities

skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

fuel tank capacities

Post by skye peak »

Does anyong know the capacities of the three individual tanks in a 1999 TE35?
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Fuel Tank Capacities

Post by joe.baar »

I remember from somewhere either the Feds or the ABYC require a permanent marking or builders' plate on all kinds of tanks, visible from an access opening, showing the builder's name, tank manufacture date and capacity. You might be able to see that information for all your tanks just by opening a hatch. Or maybe not, 1999 was a long while ago. Good luck.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Fuel Tanks TE 35

Post by TD »

I have a 2000 TE 35 and my original placard from Albin indicates 370 total gallons for the three tanks. I think this is probably correct, but I have never run them close to empty so can't verify that way. I do plan to measure the tanks and calculate the capacity. When I do that I will make a post. I need to replace the fuel sender since it is more erratic than a wind in South Dakota.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Re: fuel tank capacities

Post by TD »

Well I struck out on measuring the tanks. They are 102" from port to strb and 20" high, however, the center tank area is such a shape that I cannot mearsure it without removing the floor panel. When I measured the tanks from port to strb from the back they are: port tank 34" wide, center tank 34" wide, & strb tank 34" wide. The height is 20". The outside tanks are 43" front to back and the center tank is ?. I could not define its configuration, but fuel capacity is less. Based on the outside tank measurements and the total capacity of 370 gallons I calculate the following: Outside tanks are 150 gallon and the center tank is 70 gallon.
In order to remove the floor panel , the rear sink and steering station has to be moved so I didn't go further at this time. I thought the center tank might be disconnected i.e. shut off fuel tank connection valves, disconnect fuel line to the outer tanks, bracket ear bolts and slide the tank aft, but I could not see the front side good enough to be confident that would work. If this could be done the sender unit could be removed from the tank for replacement because it is mounted near the back part of the center tank.

It would be very helpful if someone closer to Albin factory info or maintenance experience could comment on this subject for the TE35.
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skye peak »

thanks for sharing the measurements. I don't think you have the vertical clearance to slide the center tank aft, I've played around with mirrors, trying to get to the connections for the fuel guage and the right angle hose connections may be the same height as the deck recess. Good thought tho.

I'm topping two tanks tomorrow, if I isolate a wing tank fill it, open to the centerline tank and let them equalize, isolate and top again it seems like that should prove the equal surface area of the two tanks. Unless I'm missing something, I'll have all night to think about it and will let you know.
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

That would be good data. I am wondering how long it will take to equalize. For example: I usually fill up after a couple of days fishing-so my gage then reads full. I go out fishing for about 8 hours. On my way back and even when I am docked I will show slightly over 1/2 tank. Before I go to bed--say 4 hours later I still find I am at slightly over 1/2 tank. The next morning when I check I am at least 3/4. I don't know what kind of a baffle system there is or if my gage is totally haywire. Have you ever changed the sending unit? I appreciate your input.
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skye peak »

OK, fueled up today, at $2.40 per gallon.

I have been running on the center and stb tanks, with port tank full as a reserve and to counter the stb list.
I closed off the stb tank and filled to overflowing, it took 27 gals. I then opened the stb and center tanks
and let them level. I put another 40 gals in to fill both tanks.

So if both tanks were level to start, one filled with 27, if they were the same size it should have taken 52
to top both, but it took more. But it took 67 to top both, therefore, the center tank must be bigger than
the stb tank, IMHO.
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

Well I took off my back deck panel and have some pictures and measurements of the center tank. The up shot of it all is that on my Albin the tanks are all the same size at 20 1/4" high X 33 7/8" wide X 42 7/8" deep i.e. front to aft. So if the manufacturers spec is corrected at a total of 370 gallon -- each tank holds 123 gallons. Of course the tanks are a little bigger to allow for air space on top. I am in the process of replacing the sending unit, but will not hi-jack your post for that. It did give me a chance to take some pictures.
Ablin Fuel Tank Top Center Tank.JPG
Albin Fuel Tank Top All Line Connections.JPG
Albin Fuel Tank Top of Center Tank1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”