• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Didn't sleep so well last night but.......

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Anthony1013 wrote: Attached is a picture of our maiden voyage.... not fun.
That photo reminds me of a day early this fall headed out for tuna. A Grady and a couple of others turned around .... we continued and were rewarded with realtively calm seas on the bank! Way to go Albin!! Inside and dry drinkng coffee :) .

Enjoy your run home Zinbaad, whichever day you pick.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

I seen that pic on this site last year and I saved it - it was actually my desktop background for while. How about some details about that day? Looks like a doozy. How'd the Albin do?[/quote]

The Albin did MUCH better than the crew. :shock: I sent the picture to Tiny (Chief RC) right after I took it... he and I crossed paths on a different forum and were buying our Albins about the same time. Great guy... he saved my dad and I a trip back east to look at Blackfin we were considering. Is Tiny still around on this site? Haven't seen any posts from him since I started participating....

The Story:

We took delivery of Mad Money in Bellingham Washington where the Albin dealer was located. Our plan was to stay the night in Bellingham and take off early the next day and with a goal of getting to Neah Bay. Our cruise through the San Juans was beautifull... the sky was overcast, winds were less than 10 knots. We then started heading NW through the Straits of Juan de Fuca, still easy cruising. We stopped outside of Port Angeles to check out progess and see if our goal was still realistic, the forecast was still favorable so we continued west. About 30 minutes later, the winds started picking up and I slowed from 18knots down to 14 knots. I flipped the VHF to the weather channel and the forecast was updated for Gale Force Winds, 30-40 kntos. Within minutes, we were smack dab in the middle of the above forecast with seas 8'-10', wind waves 4'-6'. I did not feel comfortable trying to turn the boat around in the steep seas and my dad agreed so we just kept the bow into it trying to make it to Sekiu. This is where I learned the Pro's and Con's of this boat.

Pro's:
The boat did excellent in these horrible conditions... I never felt like the boat couldn't take these waves, it clearly performed better than me! I was stuffing the bow pulpit into the face of the swells as the swim step was trying to clear the face of the previous swell. It tracked extremely well given the conditions and responded perfectly when throttled.

Con's:
Deck Drainage. The scuppers work great... the drainage system in all of the hatches on the deck do not. Water poured into the bilge through the hatch covers... the little gutters and drain tubes could not keep up with the volume. This is even true when I simply wash the boat. This leads to the next con:
Bilge Pumps. Our boat (1999) had 3 pumps installed when we bought it. The forward pump which for some reason sits about 4 inches off the bottom, the main pump which is a diaphram type pump and the manual whale pump. As the water accumulated, it would rush from the bow to the stern as the boat climbed and crashed down the swells. You could see the bilge lights come on, then go off as the water rushed by the float switches. The main pump failed after maybe 30 minutes of this abuse... I learned after the fact that the inline strainer was clogged with bilge "stuff".

So eventually enough water got in the bilge and when we were sliding down the face of large swell, the water splashed up forward and shorted out the bow thruster motor. The motor came on by itself and was running to port.... the controls on the dash were useless. My good friend who was with us (he's the mechanical guy in the group) runs down below and starts removing the cushions to expose the bow thruster. Meanwhile, I'm fighting to keep the boat straight while the motor screams at us. It sucked.... eventually, the cotter pin breaks and now the motor is revving at a super high RPM and starts filling the cabin with smoke. My buddly looked like Kermit the frog down there.. he was airborn as we'd decend down the swells and would then slam onto the dinette cushions at the bottom. Now keep in mind.... this is day 2 of owning the boat.... day one of actually being away from the dock. I did not know how the bow thruster was designed and was concerned about the smoke turning into fire and of course, taking on water. Just then, the 300amp fuse pops and kicks off the circuit breaker for the 12volt systems. All my instruments shut down... the only thing running is the engine. After a quick inspection with flashlights, we realize the hull was not compromised and we were still seaworthy. I then remembered the 12volt panel and reset everything.... all electronics were working again. My buddy then started to feel sick, so we put on our rain coats and I carefully walked him outside the cabin. I held onto his belt loops as he tried to get sick over the side... the poor guy was full of electrical smoke! It looked like a second exhaust pipe when he finally threw up! The weather finally started to simmer down and we were able to make it to Sekiu.... it was a very quiet ride... not much was said the rest of the night.
The rest of the trip to Ilwaco was decent.... not major issues. I am not exactly sure how big some of those swells were but you guys know how high off the water the bow railing sits... and that wasn't the largest swell we faced, just one I was able to capture.
I will tell you that now we have the boat transported via semi and trailer.

Here is another shot.... you can see it just wasn't that pleasant of a day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Wew, Smoke, Potential Fire & Taking on Water :shock:

Glad you all made it through okay - Thanks for the details, interesting & scary, I must say.

I was out on a dive once and hooked into a wreck with a 20ft dual console many miles offshore. The seas picked up quickly and waves were washing over the transom and over the well and getting into the bilge causing the bilge pump to almost constanly cycle. Very uneasy feeling, expecially that I had to go back down over 100ft to the wreck to pull the hook. Your situation was much more compounded. Thanks Again.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

After seeing Sunday's weather perhaps Monday might just be a better day. Oh yes and thanks for reminding me just how bad & fast things can and do go wrong out there, I have been on a few Dives from hell out of Freeport NY and it sure can be scary stuff.
I was thinking of getting a ride out Sunday & sleeping over til Monday morning but the marina said the Ecectric has been turned off=NO HEATER
Might not be a good way to start off either.
I'll keep ya posted
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Ed, Are you running her back alone?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

For the Sunday run I had 2 mates but Monday they have to work. Anthony said he would get back to me with a Captain or such but havnt heard back as of yet. I will give him a call again Saturday & see.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Too bad, I had a feeling that would happen pushing it off to a weekday... If I was available Monday I'd offer. With Sunday blowing a gale you didn't have much of a choice. Monday is a little breezy but at least there is some south in the wind so the north shore of LI should be somewhat sheltered....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Thanks so much I do appreciate your offer & concerns. Tic Tic Tic
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Unsolicited Advice

Post by RicM »

Rob really knows those waters, so I would take his advice without question. My own advice is the great thing about boating is that we MUST learn to surrender our petty human needs, desires, and timetables to the power of the sea. There is never a good reason to go out in a gale and risk crew, craft and captain (in descending order of importance). There is always another day, and another weather window.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

AMEN
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

If that boat has been sitting for a while make sure you have a spare fuel filter and know how to change it. Rough waters often stir up the dead algae in the fuel tank.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Unsolicited Advice

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:Rob really knows those waters, so I would take his advice without question.
Ric, Thanks for the vote of confidence. You know first hand that I know at least one good restaurant along those waters :D

Was out on the North Fork today with Matt Hanna and came across this beauty but nobody was home :(

She totally overpowers that 29 BlackFin to port

"Mahalo" engraved rod holders, well excuuuuuuse me :lol:

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

"Mahalo" engraved rod holders, well excuuuuuuse me
That's even nicer than the black duct tape on my bolsters.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Very nice looking boat !!! :D
2001 28TE - Doghouse
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

WOW, did ya hear the howling wind last night! Thanks guys for going out and checking on Mahalo for me, lol, so you dont like the Mahalo rod holder huh, lol? Heh wasnt my idea but it did look sharp along with the matching towels. Well excuuuuussssssee meeee!
Don't fear I will pig that vessel into a bloody fishing boat in no time & borrow some of Collins duck tape to match the Gatsby Edition after a few rips.
Ok back to the subject. It,s Sunday morning, all packed up for the Drive out. I was planning on sleeping on Mahalo &^ starting for home first thing monday. Since the electric is turned offin slip I might have to grab a motel for the night. Maybe they have a slip with elec for the night. Please pray for a beautiful safe Monday. To be continued.........

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”