• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Didn't sleep so well last night but.......

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Didn't sleep so well last night but.......

Post by zinbaad »

I spent most of the night tossing & turning over picking up my 31 TE and getting it from St James & out of the Great Peconic Bay. On the charts looks like so many obstacles & Islands to go around the Orient Point & into the Sound or go down through Shinnecock Canal & Shinnecock Inlet out to the Atlantic and 60 miles to the City.
I waited and dreamed so long for this day & now I'm getting real nervous now that that day is almost here. Hope to finally take the Helm on Sunday. Any suggesstions
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/

I'm not familiar with the area, but looking at the charts, this time of year, my inclination would be to go south to Shinnecock Bay and and then follow the channel that runs inside the barrier islands. You could poke your head out of the inlet and assess the conditions and possibly go on the outside if it's not too intimidating. My assumption is that you would make better time that way.

http://ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Northeast.shtml

Right now, the bouys off the south side of Long Island are reporting waves around 1.5', so if that's typical of the conditions this time of year, I'd think you'd be just fine going outside. However, before taking off, I would check back with the NDBC site and see what those conditions are like.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Looking at the chart again, I guess it really depends on where in NYC you're going. The detour of heading out around Orient Pt may be less than the detour of going all the way down through the Verrazano Narrows, especially if your marina is on the north side of the city.

The conditions in Long Island Sound are currently very calm. My guess would be that, unless there is a northeaster blowing in, that is generally the norm.

By comparrison, waves of the Washington coast are currently about 12.5'. No way I'd be going out there right now.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Ed, Just got your email, was out on the boat all day yesterday and then parent teacher conferences last night.

Glad the deal worked out. Very glad your asking for advise on which way to run her home - and yes I frequent those waters.

BTW, you do mean Jamesport, not St. James, right?

Most definetly go east to Orient Pt, avoid Shinnecock, can't stress it enough. Just checked the LI Sound forecast for sunday. You will have a strong head wind out of the west. As long as it does not have any south in it you can favor the CT shore line and find some shelter. If it does have some south in it then along the north shore of LI would be better.

You may have to back down from full cruise a bit but as you make your way west into the narrowing sound it will get better. Just remember to RainX those windshields and have good wipers installed and sit back and let that 31 push her way through.

Trust me even if you're doing 12 knots it's far better than the south shore.

Basically from Jamesport you will run east to the Race on the south side of Robin's Island and then it's a fairly straight run to Jessup's. Then you will be on the West side of Shelter Island and head up to the north and pass Shelter Island on the north side, passing by Southold and Greenport. Then it's out to Orient Pt, through Plum Gut and you're in LI Sound.

The channels through the Peconics are very well marked and deep, you will be fine. Since this is the home waters of the boat, the GPS should obviously have the chart or data for these areas but be sure to have the paper chart of the Peconics on board.

Here's what your route will somewhat look like.

http://www.geodistance.com/?id=26857

I'll email you my cellphone number in case you need it for anything.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Thanks so much Rob..Looking at the charts that was the route that looked the safest from Jamesport. It was the cut between Orient & Plum I was really unsure of. Doing the Canal through Shinnecock Inlet with all the shifting sand and open blow of the Atlantic was a bit intimidating. Coming back through the Intercoastal has far too many narrow channels to navigate. I beached the first time in 1 foot of icey water heading to Moriches Inlet few years back in April, brrrrrr, tilted a bit jumped in & pushed like hell but got out. Not going to get out with the 31. I will say a prayer for Sunday lift off. Thanks so much

PS any blackfish or lobsters other day. About 3 years ago I clenched a 12 lbs monster Lobster & 6 & 7 lber off Hamtons in 6o ft off some low lying wreck. Claw was like a football, happily released to live another hundred years
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

zinbaad wrote: off Hamtons in 6o ft off some low lying wreck.
That would be the wreck known as the Panther, it's an old tug. Nice lobster dive and the depth allows for some extended bottom time.

None yesterday, did not spend much time in the sand, most of the dive was up top exploring the wreck and all of the lost ground tackle. Got a perfect 14lb delta plow with a long length of heavy chain and about a 100ft of brand new 1/2 line. Couldn't have been down more than a couple weeks.....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Nice catch!! and you didn't even have to clean it! :)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

zinbaad wrote:Nice catch!! and you didn't even have to clean it! :)
And the going rate is $8.93 per lb. ($125/14) :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Hey, just a few more buck to fuel up..
Sundays looking 10-20 winds.. hope the Albin handles well. just get me around that point
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

zinbaad wrote:Sundays looking 10-20 winds.. hope the Albin handles well. just get me around that point
My 28 takes a short head sea very well, your 31 should only do better. The worst conditions will be after you get through Plum Gut (between Plum Isl and Orient Pt) and then make your turn to the west into the LI Sound. The first (eastern most) part of the sound will be the roughest and then it should lighten up as you head west back to the Big Apple.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The 31 is a very capable vessel but Monday sure would be better. This is the Eastern LI Sound forecast:

SUN NIGHT
W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 KT...
DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

MON
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I don't know if I would want my maiden voyage to be in seas like that. Yes, the boat can take it, but can you? Are you taking your wife? If your admiral is like most of ours, it's not a way to introduce her to the new boat. :)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Sounds very much like I have to wait another day. 20-25 would be a bit much for such a long haul , I will keep a close watch on the weather for sure.
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

jcollins wrote:I don't know if I would want my maiden voyage to be in seas like that. Yes, the boat can take it, but can you? Are you taking your wife? If your admiral is like most of ours, it's not a way to introduce her to the new boat. :)
Excellent point.... maiden voyages are supposed to be fun and exciting! Keep an eye on the forecast and it will all work out.

Attached is a picture of our maiden voyage.... not fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Anthony1013 wrote: Attached is a picture of our maiden voyage.... not fun.
I seen that pic on this site last year and I saved it - it was actually my desktop background for while. How about some details about that day? Looks like a doozy. How'd the Albin do?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”