• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My Albin 28TE - comments and question

pcthornton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pcthornton »

Our 2002 Albin 28 (hull no. 632) "Patriot" was just hauled today, ending our first and a fantastic season with her. She hails from Barrington, Rhode Island, so our boating area is mainly Narragansett Bay and coastal waters. We did 3 Block Island (paradise) trips, one trip to Oak Bluffs, MV and our biggest trip, to Shinnecock Canal on Long Island. We started with 210 hours on the Yanmar 6LP 315 when we took delivery in June and the hour meter is now showing 292 hours. I'm one of those lucky guys whose wife also loves the boat. She claims that she picked this boat (it's true that she suggested we give the Albin 28 a look when we were shopping for a bigger boat). She just told some friends as recently as Halloween night that she "loves, loves, loves" our boat!

For those members that are contemplating a purchase of the Albin 28, I think this is the biggest 28 footer you will find. I still think I'm on a 35 footer. We spent 8 days and 7 nights aboard in July with our 9 and 7 year old children and the dog, and the boat never got too small.

I go to the boat every chance I get. I love just poking around trying to learn as much as I can about the various systems. I changed the engine oil over this past weekend and spent at least an hour wiping down the engine. Now that she's on the hard I'll be doing the winterizing of the engine and water systems, etc. I would love to register for Mack Boring's diesel engine class, but it's a little pricey right now.

I was on the boat on Tuesday afternoon and I left my cell phone behind. Oh shucks, I had to go back last night to retrieve the cell phone.

I really feel content in life since we bought this boat. I can't imagine why we'll ever have to move up to a bigger boat, and I have nothing but pride about her. I've grown to love the lines and the downeast look.

I know that was long-winded, but I can't say enough about this boat.

I do have a question, however. Should the boat be blocked under the keel? The boat yard blocked her foward, of course, and then just forward of the keel, rather than under the keel, so the keel is suspended in the air.

Although I don't make posts on this site very often, I do enjoy checking in and reading your posts every night. I've learned a lot and I like the humor that's sometimes injected. This is a great site! I am also interested in joining you at the rendevouz in Essex. After going all the way to the Hamptons, Essex will be a piece of cake.
ColinT
"Patriot"
2002 28TE
Barrington, RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Congratulations

Post by RicM »

Do you have a green hull? Were you out around Bristol on Saturday? I was on my way to Standish Boatyard to pick up oil filters (how's that for an excuse to go for a boat ride?) and passed a green hull heading up toward Barrington River but couldn't get close enough to read the name. Anyway, you have discovered what so many of us know, the Albin 28 TE is a great boat for the fishing/cruising family/couple. One word of advice, don't look at or go on a 31TE! :lol:
We are in Wickford and winter at Wickford Shipyard. I don't believe they blocked under the keel there. The blocks would normally go near the sling indicators (they should be just above the rub rail on the sides of the boat).
This forum is a great way to beat the winter blues until splash day '09!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Great post! Can't see yourself needing a bigger boat huh? ha! I eye up the 31 and 35 all the time!

Our boat gets a small block under the keel just as a little support. I don't know if its really needed or not, but we do it anyway.

Enjoy getting to know your boat!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: My Albin 28TE - comments and question

Post by Pitou »

pcthornton wrote:Our 2002 Albin 28 (hull no. 632) "Patriot" was just hauled today, ending our first and a fantastic season with her. I'm one of those lucky guys whose wife also loves the boat.

For those members that are contemplating a purchase of the Albin 28, I think this is the biggest 28 footer you will find.

I really feel content in life since we bought this boat. I have nothing but pride about her. I've grown to love the lines and the downeast look.

I know that was long-winded, but I can't say enough about this boat.

I do have a question, however. Should the boat be blocked under the keel? The boat yard blocked her foward, of course, and then just forward of the keel, rather than under the keel, so the keel is suspended in the air.
I love your post. I snagged a excerpts ..... sounds like much in the way I and the Admiral describe our satisfaction and joy of our Albin.

I have seen these boats blocked as yours and Ric's and as well blocking forward and blocking at the skeg .... either way I believe no harm, no foul. I chose to block forward and at the skeg which was how she was blocked at Standish when I bought her. In a recent Soundings article they showed an Albin 28 blocked at the sling points as Ric suggests.

A previous photo of Pitou (hull #614)

kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I just love your enthusiasm. I think I am the same way, any excuse just to go down & tinker or sit around & take a nap. Like a big kid at Christmas time, hope it never ends.. Hope to see you out there, I'll wave as I come around after Orient Point. I hope to make it to Essex also.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Like a big kid at Christmas time
Just proves the only difference between men & boys is the price of their toys!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Colin,
Thanks for posting. Your thoughts are echoed by almost every Albin owner I meet. My wife selected our boat as well. We were walking through a marina and she said "now, that's a boat". That was enough for me and I have been enjoying Christmas morning every spring when I unwrap her. (the boat)
8)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Essex

Post by RicM »

Karen was really surprised at how much she enjoyed the rendezvous in Boston last year. Albin TE owners tend to be couples, and a younger demographic than, say, trawler cruiser folks. Many fish and cruise. All like to party hearty. By all means join us in Essex, you'll meet a lot of nice people and have a lot of fun.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Essex

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:Albin TE owners tend to be couples, and a younger demographic than, say, trawler cruiser folks. Many fish and cruise. All like to party hearty.
Hmmm, I sense a reply from jleonard is not too far away...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
pcthornton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pcthornton »

Thanks, guys, for your replies, and for posting the picture of Pitou, Kevin.

Yes, Ric, that was me on Saturday. I wanted to heat up the engine oil so I buzzed over to Bristol for lunch with some friends. What a beautiful day it was. A bit overcast but warm and calm. I contemplated an overnight trip to Newport, but too much going on with the kids, as is usually the case with Fall boating.

I saw a few 28s out that day. That must have been you running up the north side of Prudence toward Portsmouth. With diesel at only $2.68 at Standish right now, I guess that wasn't too expensive a run to get your filters, hah? Ken Hilton's a great resource (not to mention, a character), isn't he? I bug him with questions all the time.

I'm storing at Stanley's Boatyard, which is only 8 minutes from the house. I plan on putting a door in the shrinkwrap so I can go "putter" all winter! Off I go today to winterize the engine and water system.

By the way, boy did my zincs (rudder and trim tabs) get eaten down to nothing!

John, thanks for the work you do to keep this site going. I know it'll help me get through the off season.
ColinT
"Patriot"
2002 28TE
Barrington, RI
pcthornton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pcthornton »

Diesel at Standish is 2.99, not 2.68. I filled a 5-gallon jug with it on Saturday to mix my fuel treatment and then poured it into my boat's tank.
ColinT
"Patriot"
2002 28TE
Barrington, RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Zincs

Post by RicM »

Colin:

I have posted here in the past about the value of a galvanic isolator if you dock at a marina and are usually connected to shore power. It's an easy winter project and will cut zinc erosion about 50% next year.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
bulldog
Swabby
Swabby

Post by bulldog »

Hello 28 owners in upper Narragansett Bay.. We bought BULLDOG at the end of the 2007 season.. left her in 'til after Christmas.. and used the living daylights out of her... Today DEC 16th,(my mothers 93rd birthday), we had her hauled at Standish... So since we bought her with the YANMAR engine.. we've added 475 hours to her use.. I'm sure that you've seen us go by many many times, as we berth her in Bristol harbor and go out nearly every day...

Fuel economy... I've seen a lot of theories about this... I just used the boat in a general way.. sometimes cruising speed to the block or cutty etc. and other times going hardly at all, fishing watching sail boat races etc.. We need an economical boat that we could afford to use so I measured my 1st 3 tanks of fuel for usage..

TANK 1... 3.6gph
TANK 2....2.7gph
TANK 3....1.1gph..... :D

Our 1st power boat....... couldn't be more pleased........ see you in april....BULLDOG
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Bulldog,

I am in Wickford and we just finished our second season. We have put 380 hours on our 03' 28TE with the 315 Yanmar (we are second owner), with lot's of local fishing, a dozen trips to Block Island, Mudhole etc each year, and a long cruise (07 Cape & Islands/7 days, 08 CT & Long Island/11 days) each year in September. I run a fuel log through out the season, and both years we averaged right around 3.2-3.3 GPH for the season. Fuels prices had very little to no influence on our usage, although I'm looking forward to lower prices this coming year. You will find these results to be pretty consistant with other users experiences on this board. These are great handling, thrifty boats, that will take you just about anywhere you want to go in comfort and safety.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”