• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel efficiency

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuel efficiency

Post by NJRobert »

When I purchased my new 07 28TE, one of the reasons I did it, was for diesel fuel efficiency. At the time gas was alot more money as a fuel. Last Spring, I had a Floscan professionally installed, and throughout most of the season, fine-tuned the calibrations to the point of it being +/- 5 gallons of fuel within the pump reading.

At 3600RMB, on a good day, I can get around 20kts. At that point I'm using around 12-14GPH. Does that sound right?
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

At 3600rpm my flowscan shows 13 - 13.1 GPH and 18-19knts depending on currents etc. Sounds pretty much in-line.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I think you're right on the money, with a clean bottom and not too much weight thats about what I get.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I've found that off-road diesel is usually significantly cheaper than gasoline. Buying on-road diesel for a boat is throwing money down the drain. I have no idea what so many fuel docks continue to sell on-road diesel.
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

In thinking about this subject, I realize that I don't really know the difference between the two fuels. I've assumed the off-road diesel fuel and marine diesel fuel are the same and they are colored.

For the past two years I've been buying a red colored fuel and the price always exceeded the local price for gasoline.

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

There are only two types of diesel fuel (from a tax standpoint); on-road and off-road. On-road diesel is taxed at the federal level (I believe $0.50/gal), and is not dyed. Off-road diesel is dyed red. Boats are allowed to use the un-taxed dyed fuel, though lots of fuel docks sell the on-road stuff simply because it's easier to get, and most customers don't pay that close attention to the price.

Here in Washington, all gasoline is taxed $0.50/gal regardless of use, so the lack of a tax on diesel is a significant benefit. You instead pay our 8% sales tax, but that works out to be a lot less than $0.50/gal. And, if you use your boat for commercial purposes, you can get the sales tax refunded to you at the end of the year.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

In Ct we also can get the road tax back for both diesel and gas. We have to apply by filling in a form, attaching receipts.
As far as I know all the marine fuel docks around here carry on road diesel. And it's generally about the same price as you pay on the roads.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “General Discussion”