• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Emergency Tiller for 28' TE

halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

emergency tiller

Post by halfmoon »

After reading some posts regarding autopilots I questioned whether those boats that have hydraulic APs might not already have a backup steering system which operates independently from the helm.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Not unless you have purchased a second hydraulic cylinder for a completely separate system. My autopilot feeds into the same cylinder and I suspect most pilots are installed that way. My hydraulic cylinder failed last year and all that happens is air gradually replaces the fluid that leaks out and you have to turn the wheel more times to get a response. It worsened over several weeks so you have plenty of time to rebuild the seals in the cylinder before it stops completely. Now if you accidentally pulled off your steering wheel and dropped it overboard, the autopilot will get you home.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Go Home

Post by RicM »

If you pull off your steering wheel and throw it overboard you probably have other problems than just how to get home! :lol:
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”