• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hull painting - part 2

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Hull painting - part 2

Post by Tuxedo »

As those who read the original hull painting post might remember, 2 years ago I used PoliGlo on my badly oxidized hull. I got the 2 years out of it I wanted, aand now it's time to go ahead and paint the hull.

Just got a quote from the yard for $5,500 for Jet Black Awlgrip 2000 covered by clear coat. Seems reasonable to me.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Good luck with the paint job Tom! How long will it take to complete?
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Tuxedo »

I took the boat to the yard last week and told them I wanted it back Oct 1. We do things backwards in the South. I'm glad to do my annual maintenance and have the boat out of the water when it's hurricane season.

We don't stay in Charleston at this time of year.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

You're gonna love the Awlgrip paintjob. It should come out far better than gelcoat & last longer too.

Had to have my workboat hull done 3 years ago after hurricane damage. It still looks like it was done last week.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I agree, my boat has a dark green Awlgrip in it's third year and it looks beautiful.
After seeing how Awlgrip looks I can't believe I was messing around trying to keep a gel coat finish looking good.
Denis
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Denis,

Awlgrip does look great, but gelcoat lasts MUCH longer and doesn't have to be reapplied every ten years.
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bradenton, FL

Paint Job Cost

Post by Albinflorida »

Great price Tuxedo,
The price of colored gelcoat, from the factory on a 31 is $5,900. Might as well paint them when they are new. I just got a quote of over $9000. to Imron a 31. Prices here in SW FL seem to be so much higher than up your way. Should be a beautiful boat when done. As to gelcoat being better, here in the south with constant sun, a gelcoated boat will only hold up 4 - 5 years before you have to wax it monthly to get her original shine back. As a dealer, we inform our clients of this before they purchase. Awlcraft 2000 or Imron is the only way to go for longevity.
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Tuxedo »

Thanks for the feedback AlbinFlorida. I think the yard manager said 2 coats primer, 3 coats Awlgrip, 2 coats clear coat, but I could be off one coat. Seems like a good deal to me

I've sayed out of the gel coat discussion on the 28 - 31 forum, but I agree after 5 years in the southern sun, buffing / waxing doesn't cut it on a dark hull. Plus, we buffed away most of the gelcoat over the years. Boat is a 98, so I've gotten my time out of the original black gelcoat.

I'll post pictures when it's done.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Tom,
I had my last boat painted a couple of years before I sold it. The day the new owner picked it up it looked just a good.

You will be happy.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “General Discussion”