• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Autopilot recommendations?

Albin's "power cruisers"
stardust-v42
First Mate
First Mate

Post by stardust-v42 »

I really thinking of installing an autopilot in the near future and looking for recommendations as to brand and/or Model. Any suggestions from the group would be appreciated.
1987 Albin 27 SC
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don from Mystic »

I know very little about auto pilots but believe you will be limited to one which powers the steering shaft (through a pulley on your wheel, popular on sail vessels) OR one specifically designed for mechanical,cable steering, which I think is pretty much obsolete on inboards (hydraulics has replaced it). All of the units I have looked at for power boats are hydraulic compatable only. There was a fellow on ebay selling new old stock cable ones - you replaced the steering helm (gearbox) with the unit (they are larger but do fit - I measured mine). They brought more $ than I was willing to pay (for a non dealer unwarranteed unit).
stardust-v42
First Mate
First Mate

Post by stardust-v42 »

Don

Thanks so much for the advice and info. I will be working this selection of a suitabale autopilot over the winter so that we have something to install in the Spring.

By the way, we are in Northern Michigan but purchased this A27 out of Mystic in June and had her trucked here to Lake Michigan. So far we are very happy with our choice. We had been sailors for 30 years, including 10 winters in the Bahamas to Trinidad, but now we are into "turn the key and go".
1987 Albin 27 SC
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think I knew the boat. Elderly couple who liked to throw the hook off Ram Island (Fishers Island Sound) and spend the day in a beautiful spot. Didnt see them out this year so I do hope that was the 27 you now have-

Mystic is a popular spot for the old Albins - there are several around.

Let the forum know what you decide re the A/P

Best wishes with the boat

Don
stardust-v42
First Mate
First Mate

Post by stardust-v42 »

Don

The boat we bought was called "Gale Warning" and was recently AwlGrip'd dark blue and the deck and cockpit was also AwlGrip'd white and the cockpit was tan. All the canvas was tan and very new. They had installed a custom mast, about 30", swept back with two wings also swept back for the antenna farm (radar, gps, vhf and TV/FM). This A27 is the SC version. Has a swim ladder with teak inserts and the helm seats are teak ladder back style. They also installed a Blaupunkt AM/FM/CD player and put Bose speakers inside and out. All and all a really nice package. The big downside is that this boat must have taken a really hard hit amidships on the port side sometime in its prior life. When the repair was made, the yard didn't quite get the hull to deck joint right so there is some (about 3 or 4) small pinhole leaks that need to be fixed. To make matters worse, the repair yard put some starboard pieces into their "repair", so getting some product to stick to the starboard to properly fix the leaks is something that has me baffled at the moment. I'm thinking 5200 Fast Cure, but I have been led to believe that 5200 will not stick to starboard. Oh well, it's a boat and I'll get it fixed sooner or later. It really isn't too much of a problem now, unless you are taking lots of spray on the port side.
1987 Albin 27 SC
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not the boat I had in mind but sounds sweet (hope that old couple I mentioned is ok). Ive used 5200 for many applications, including automotive and for repairing a 12" shredded section of rub rail I inherited with my 27. Why not make a "test" on a small section of the product and see if it adheres? Perhaps 3M tech support can be of help as well.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Mystic is a popular spot for the old Albins - there are several around
I have an Albin as a next door marina neighbor.
:D
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
EBray

Re: Autopilot recommendations?

Post by EBray »

stardust-v42 wrote:I really thinking of installing an autopilot in the near future and looking for recommendations as to brand and/or Model. Any suggestions from the group would be appreciated.

Simrad makes their AP14R which they say is a drop-in replacement for the existing wheel and uses the existing cable. I am familar with the larger Simrad autopilots and really like them
Jumpy07
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Jumpy07 »

I use the new Raymarine Wheel Pilot, works well, but make sure you steering doesnt have too much play or it will zig zag... in a big sea I have to take control though

Best Regards

Craig
_________________________________________________________________________________
UK Albin Site: www.albin25.co.uk
Albin Mega Picture Database: www.albin25.co.uk
Salena, Albin25 Refit: www.salena.co.uk
Where is Salena: www.aisliverpool.co.uk/showship.php?mmsi=235030607
stardust-v42
First Mate
First Mate

Post by stardust-v42 »

Craig

Thanks for your information on your Autopilot. I have not decided yet on what to get, but I'm sure I will get something as soon as the Spring weather gets here in Northern Michigan. Right now there is just too much cold and snow to get too excited about boating.
1987 Albin 27 SC
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Is it possible to fit the Simrad WP 30-32 etc. wheel pilots top the Albin 27? It appears they are specifically designed for a pedestal mount. Wondering in anyone has ever used one, or has any experience with the wheel pilot type bolt-on wheel type autopilots....

I've got a line on a couple of wheel pilots in various states of repair for next to nothing. Yeah, I know, Raymarine sells the new Star Trek Wheel Pilot for 1.2k.. I'm not interested in a new one, as indicated looking to rehab an old.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

Free State has a Raymarine Sport Pilot Plus autopilot with digital compass and rudder sensor.
I'm really not impressed with its ability to hold a course at the moment and on the ICW it will go off course in a minute or so.
Crossing the 'armpit' of the Gulf of Mexico was not so bad with plenty of sea room to wander around a bit.
I can't believe Raymarine would sell a bit of kit so useless. I have swung the compass several times to no avail so my next task is to move the compass around and check all the connections.

1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Is it stand alone or hooked up to your Lowrance? If it's the Lowarance doesn't it use that?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

We had the sportpiolot + on our 27 sea ray Amberjack.It was wired to the RL70 chart plotter.Once a waypoint was selected it would take you your destination flawlessly.We just had to make sure it was on course for the first two or three hundred yards and you were on your way.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

Rick - It is stand alone and all I want it to do is hold a course; nothing fancy. As I'm single handed a reliable autopilot is really desirable. When I up-anchor I want it to follow a set course, slow ahead, avoiding hazards while I wash and stow the anchor. If I need to go below for a second I want it to hold a course down a canal. At least once it has rammed me up a bank at 7 knots!

amber jj - That is what I do - hold it on a steady heading for some time then press the tit to set it in operation. Immediatly the wheel starts to saw back and forth and after a minute or so the wheel goes over and stays over and off we go way off course. In the open sea it eventually it comes back roughly on course.
My Autohelm ST4000 on my sailboat I could alter course by one degree. At sea you wouldn't notice it but in a canal it was amazing. I have used dozens of autopilots over the years from simple tiller pilots to sexy computer/hydraulic jobs linked to wind, radar, GPS, and everything and all have been reliable most of the time.
There is something wrong with my Sportpilot that I need to fix.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”